Patchy Paint Finish on Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Just coated my living room wall with its second coat of Dulux Magnolia Emulsion. However after drying, there are light and dark patches on areas of the wall.

I have applied two mist coats (underneath) and used a 9" extendable roller.

Should I apply a third coat, or change my approach in applying the paint?

Many thanks

Attachments

• Patchy Walls - 1.jpg
    Patchy Walls - 1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 479
  • Patchy Walls - 2.jpg
    Patchy Walls - 2.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 554
Sponsored Links
What was on the wall prior to painting?

From the pics it looks like it could be old wallpaper paste left over

What was on the wall prior to painting?

From the pics it looks like it could be old wallpaper paste left over

Thanks for your reply. There was nothing on the wall, as it was a fresh plaster skim. I did put two mists coats on prior to adding two emulsion coats.

Sponsored Links
I can't be sure from the images but it looks like "dry rolling". Dry rolling occurs when one doesn't maintain a sufficient wet edge. It may be the case that you are letting the roller run too dry and applying the paint too thinly.

You could try a thicker roller which will carry more paint (eg Purdy Colossus) or add some Floetrol to the paint.

I use the Colossus on both plaster and lining paper. Be warned that they leave fibres behind until washed a few times. In spite of the fact that they are deep nap you should be able to get a smooth paint finish with them.

I can't be sure from the images but it looks like "dry rolling". Dry rolling occurs when one doesn't maintain a sufficient wet edge. It may be the case that you are letting the roller run too dry and applying the paint too thinly.

You could try a thicker roller which will carry more paint (eg Purdy Colossus) or add some Floetrol to the paint.

I use the Colossus on both plaster and lining paper. Be warned that they leave fibres behind until washed a few times. In spite of the fact that they are deep nap you should be able to get a smooth paint finish with them.

Yeah, that could be the issue. When I paint, I tend to exhaust / drag all of the paint out of the roller before 'reloading'. In addition, I do apply quite a bit of pressure on the roller when painting, which might explain the patchy finish.

The Colossus looks like it will do the job, but £8 is probably a bit steep as I rarely do any painting and have a few spare Harris sleeves.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

On of the problems with loading more paint on to a short nap roller is that it splurges out of the end. If it does, sometimes you can tlit the roller very slightly so that the splurge is on the other side. Sorry, i appreciate that isn't very clear. Lets assume that you are rolling from left to right along the wall. If you tilt the roller so that you are applying slightly less pressure on the right hand side of the roller the splurge will be on the left hand side and flattened out as you continue rolling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back