Patchy Paint Finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had my whole house re skimmed i have allowed the plaster to dry (it took me about 6 weeks to get round to applying the mist coat) have painted a mist coat by watering down some white matt emulsion and now i am painting the final white coat on the ceilings.
I am using a medium pile roller but i am finding that once dry (and even when still wet and when applying the paint) the paint appears to be going on patchy and drying patchy so when the light catches the paint it has an inconsistent finish over the whole ceiling.
I have given one ceiling 3 coats of paint and still i am getting this issue.
When you look up close at the patches you can see that its covered ok because you cannot see any pink plaster. And some parts of the ceiling look fine. I am baffled as to what to do or what it could be.
Do i go for better more expensive white matt emulsion? do i go for silk or satin white paint? should i use a short pile roller? am i painting in the wrong hot time of year (it does get hot in my house and the paint is drying quicker than normal)

Help! as the weekend is coming up i am going to attempt another crack at painting the ceilings so any advice to make this the last weekend of painting those god damn ceilings would be great!!!

** UPDATE **

Ive been browsing the net this morning and i think what im trying to describe is called flashing. I hope this helps me to get an answer :eek:)

Sponsored Links
It's a texture issue. Why bother looking at the ceiling. Life's too short for that.

You said you watered down some white matt emulsion.

It's probably vinyl, so, don't use silk or vinyl, use a contract emulsion as you wont get the same kind of "flashing" with that.

Gliddens or Dulux supermatt or Johnstone's or Leyland. The trade stuff is best.

If it was Vinyl i would have stated so. Its trade matt emulsion paint.
Any one able to help me with this query?

Sponsored Links
Tell me exactly what it says on the tin and is it washable wipeable. or, are the only words on the tin/tub trade matt emulsion? because you haven't stated anything else.

If it was Vinyl i would have stated so. Its trade matt emulsion paint.
Any one able to help me with this query?

Would you help people for no fee if they were bolshy? Well would you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back