Poor shower flow - Trapped air ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning

I recently installed a new bathroom, with a pumped shower.

The pump in question (Techflow QT80) has a working pressure of about 2 Bar, at which it should pump about 15-20 litres water / min. It is sited about 0.5m from the hot water cylinder, at floor level, and about 2m from the mixer. I reckon that, through a single shower head (ie - no body jets etc etc) I should get a pretty decent shower. The problem is - I don't !.

The flow is 'poor' to say the least - barely more than on gravity. I've drawn up the pipework here -->
general pipework layout pic
Looking at this, I'm wondering about air trapped especially at point 'x'. I would say that air at points 'y' and 'z' (ie, upstream of the pump) would get pushed through the system by water flow, but I'm not sure...?

The only thing I forgot to draw here, is that the supply from the cylinder is via a Warix flange. The other outlet from the Warix has (of course) an expansion/overflow going up to the header tank. It's all new stuff (new cylinder, header tank, pipework, pump etc. The Mixer valve has a minimum working pressure of 0.1 Bar, so it should be well within spec. There's also a decent positive head into the cylinder (about 4m).

Could anyone comment please on i) the likelihood of trapped air in this system, and ii) the likelihood that this would effect flow to the extent I'm seeing?

Sorry for the long post - thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I don't think you've got trapped air at all otherwise you would have the same problems on bath/basin hot taps.Is the pump okay ? you can test this by disconnecting from the shower mixer,if that okay look at the shower mixer valves - could be sticking or not set up correctly if that okay disconnect the shower head etc..........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back