poor TV reception in flat block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone suggest anything I can try to get my TV reception working? At the minute I virtually get no channels, and weirdly on a rainy day I get even less.

I live in a block of 10 flats and I seem to be the only one having TV problems. An aerial company put in a new signal booster box a while back but that doesn't seem to have done any good, for me at least. I've tried signal attenuators, changing the aerial faceplate, changing the lead, set top boxes, everything but voodoo magic...

I'd imagine that if it's an aerial problem then everyone in the block would be having trouble. Any last ditch attempts I can make to get this working before we call another aerial company in?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
1. you might not be connected to the communal aerial system

2. there might be a defect on the cable serving your flat

|3. there might be a defect on the distribution outlet serving your flat

Cheers for the reply. I was hoping it wasn't the cableing, after the aerial man came and put a new booster box in the reception was fine for a week but then it went bad again. I took pics of the booster box he put in and put them on the AVforums site...everyone said the wiring was poor. I started this thread to get a second opinion. At least it's not been me paying for the aerial man, it's been the maintenance company.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Sam, Sparky.
What's a download? Obviously I'm not going to try and tackle any repairs outside of my flat myself but I'd like to understand as much as possible about it so I can give useful information to a repair person beyond "it doesn't work", and understand any techno-jargon a repair person blurts out at me.

Poor signal when raining points to water in your download !

It also points to the fact that UHF signal strengths degrade during rain. So a poor signal is being made worse...Yes it could be water in the coax, but the most likely cause is increased path loss due to rain..
Also if it's water ingress why is no one else being effected??? The most likely place for water ingress to occur is at the antenna, so unless the water ingress is in the coax feed between a common point & thrashsmith's TV, it would not only effect his TV..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back