Poor water flow upstairs - bathroom taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had the kitchen done about 6months ago and boiler replaced standard gravity with a combi so I thought everything cold was on mains. I recognise the hot water flow would be not great. However, cold flow and pressure upstairs is poor almost half of downstairs but only I think from the bath taps! Kitchen tap is fine and great flow and pressure.

Oddly the toilet fills pretty rapidly from 15mm and I think the basin tap is ok, and there is good flow, and pressure but the bath tap flow/pressure is poor. Bath taps are bristan quest fed from plastic 15mm pipe no kinks, then into 15mm to 22mm reducer, then islotators , and then into 22mm . The taps are meant to be rated for both high and low pressures, and list decent flow rates at various pressures.

My thoughts were maybe there was a really bad bodge where the bath cold wasn't connected to the mains but running up to the tank in loft and back down to the cold 22mm pipe to the bath. To be fair the previous owner did like to dabble in electrics and piping, and all the trades did really struggle to make sense of the maze of wiring and pipes he had laid.

I suspect I'll need to get a plumbers view. I just can't work out why the cold bath would be poor but others raging.

Sponsored Links
It all depends on the route the pipework takes to the bath taps!
However, it is worth noting that the larger bore bath taps do suffer the most on a conversion to combi. Put your thumb over the cold bath tap when running and if you can easily stop it, but can't at the basin then further investigation is needed. If they are similar in characteristics then its likely just the bore of the bath taps/feeds.

Sponsored Links
The cold bath feed has all of a sudden returned to full flow / pressure. It does appear a possible limescale build up. Presumably the cold main blasted it out?

The hot bath feed is still pretty poor almost half the cold. It could be a similar problem. However, our combi is on the small side a Worcester bosch 25i (spec'd at 10.2 l/min @ 35°c ∆T )and I said at the time to the other half it would be pretty slow to fill a bath. Well it'll be quick for a cold bath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back