Poorly designed bath/shower leaking onto floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon everyone,

I was hoping for a bit of help today, isn't everyone? I have tried searching the forums, the closest thing I have seen is this post here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=546511#546511

Unfortunately I do not have pictures at present but will upload them tomorrow once I get back to the house. The problem is this;

View media item 35718
The bath has no tiling around it(unlike the topic above) however when we are showering the water splashes onto the wall tiles and the bath surround... collects there and then runs off onto the floor. This is because there are not the correct angles on the bath and the detailing on the bath stop it naturally running back into the bath.

From the above pic, I hope you can understand, there are walls to the top,left and right of the pic. You enter the bath from the bottom of the pic. The black is the detailing which is raised. The blue is where the water collects.
We are currently using a shower curtain, there was a shower screen there before however this did not fit properly because of the detailing.

I have recently seen a plastic cover that a plumber has used in a friends house, that fixed a shower enclosure with tiles on the floor. Which was angled, I am not sure what it is called or if this is the most elegant solution to the problem.

Apologies for any waffling

Tom

Sponsored Links
post better off in plumbing section.
i have seen these baths with a raised back.
personally i would either rotate bath so taps under shower or relocate shower to taps side if no other upstand on bath.
temporary job,fit a shower curtain :cry:
the experts will be here soon.

Okey Dokey....

Here is the actual bath

View media item 35827
And the Detailing causing the problem

View media item 35825
And another pic of the same

View media item 35826
And finally is the thing I have seen at my mates house which would or would not fix the situation?

View media item 35824
??
Hope this helps or gives a better indication?

If anyone could tell me the technical name of the last pic that would help a lot. Also if you think I could use it to fix the problem or would it look too bodgy?

Regards
Tom

That type of bath isn't made to take a shower - so the only real option is to change the bath. That bath is one of those cheap and nasty jobs anyway.

Sponsored Links
Cheers so far guys. i know the bath isn't the best. this housr was ex-council and weve spent a lot of time putting other things right. this room is the one we overlooked thogh. We would rather not teplace the bath at this point. Is there a workaround for the next few(6) months? Cheers again.

You could pickup a cheap fixed glass shower screen.

It would prevent the water falling on to the floor provided that it extends far enough past the raised details.

Here is a cheap one that might last long enough until you redo the bathroom

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...er+screens,+enclosures+and+trays|14418046.htm

The above is actually a swinging door. The seals on it would be rated as shower proof rather than waterproof, but you could always silicone it to stay in the correct position and provide a decent seal.

If it's only for 6 months, move the showerhead/riser rail to the side wall and use a U or L shaped shower curtain rail so that no water splashes onto the shell detail. Fix into the grout lines so that if you want to move it back when you change the bath, and don't plan on re-tiling, the holes can be filled easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back