Pop up Plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Pop up Plug is leaking because the nut that holds the bar in place keeps working loose. If I tighten it so that it doesn't work loose it makes the plunger rod to stiff to pull up and down! Any suggestions? Go easy on me it' my first posting.

Sponsored Links
I take it you have a wash basin in your bathroom with a pop up plug arrangement. When you say it is leaking do you mean that when you fill your basin the water drains with the pop up in place?

The threaded ring that holds the lifting bar in place is also a water seal! There should be a couple of shaped polythene washers on either side of the 'ball' on the rod, allowing it to move up and down without water leaking out. If tightening the threaded ring makes the joint too tight to allow the ball to rotate, there MIGHT be a washer missing. One of the washers is usually a firm fit in the hole in the waste casting. The other sits on the rod between the ball and the ring.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for quick responses. The basin doesn't leak with plug in, only when it's released. Croydoncorgi I only have one washer that sits inside the threaded ring the washer fits snog to the ball. What type of washer do I need Does it need to be special? Thanks Opeter

The usual inner fitting is more of a polythene bush than a washer as such. Without looking at the actual basin waste, it's a bit hard to offer specific advice but if it jams up when you tighten the ring it sounds like there's something missing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back