pop ups

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i had a problem with some sony ecrission software that was bring up a message every time i switched my computer on, i removed the software as advised whiched stop that problem.
but every time i go on line now, after ive been on a few pages or if i press 'back' a few times, a new internet comes on, with daft stuff like 'free stuff' or if im doing on line banking, a banking page comes up and so on! its driving me mad and my missus mad, which makes it worse for me!!! could anyone please help!

Sponsored Links
sounds like you've picked up some spyware. Try downloading and running Spybot and Adaware...both have free editions.

thank you. ive got avest but doesnt seem to have done much good

I presume you mean Avast, which is an anti-virus program, and will not sort your problem.
Do as wanleg says, and try Spybot and Adaware. Also download Windows Defender from Microsoft.

Sponsored Links
i got that adware on now set it to do a full scan while i was out a work to day, came in and its only got a problem which it had to stop scanning, at 8mins in! :evil: also i downloaded opera, which on that i havent had any pop ups at all. i tryed that spybot first but that would do a scan but wouldnt let me do any thing to the infected files with paying first!
thanks again for the advice

You need the free version of Spybot, and Windows Defender is free, from Microsoft.

Forget the freeware stuff.... go to the shop, buy the propper stuff.... youll just end up with more crap on your computer....

A few quid invested in propper software, ull be amazed how much hassle it saves...

Forget the freeware stuff.... go to the shop, buy the propper stuff.... youll just end up with more rubbish on your computer....

A few quid invested in propper software, ull be amazed how much hassle it saves...
I Don't want to hijack the thread but i'm having the same problems,any recommendations on what software to buy.

Well my advice, is to firstly, run the Microsoft windows update, get all the updates....

Than buy Webroot Spysweeper.... 12 months subs cost you about 20 quid...

then make sure you run an active version of norton security (Antivirus/Firewall) combined with other stuff that protects you.

Once all is installed and running, clear your vurtual memory / temp folders, run full scans and you should be fine...

Bareing in mind you should be running a good legit version of Windows and office...

Ive now seen several versions of xp with embeded spyware, and same goes for MS office.... spyware galore.

Hope that helps...

Free Adaware is good.

you have to roam around Lavasoft site to find the free download

http://www.lavasoft.de/products/ad_aware_free.php

And using Tools in IE you can turn on the pop-up blocker.

Sorry JohnD from my experience this one you recomend missed about a dozen bits of spyware that the one I recomended picked up.

Again free stuff aint all its cracked upto be....

And using Tools in IE you can turn on the pop-up blocker.[/quote]I have got that on max where you have to hold ctrl/alt and click on a page to load and still pop ups are occurring

Sponsored Links
Back