porcelain questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a non rapid set adhesive for porcelain?
i've got some largish tiles which I'm putting on to uneven walls,and working 1/2 a bucket at a time is driving me nuts.I'm using topps rapidset flex.I suspect it's just practice,but I just don't have the time with the rapidset to "play" with the tiles to level them.

I'm a plumber and have laid a lot of tiles over the years,and to be honest I try and avoid tiling as I take so much longer than the pros to get a good result- the arrival of porcelain is making me think about refusing any jobs where the customer wants me to tile as well!

Also found out at topps today that you have to seal porcelain tiles-I know I've laid some without,so red face for me!( nothing but praise for topps by the way).Anyone know if you can use pocelain sealer to seal marble and vice versa?-I'm also kind of curious why porcelain tile are taking over-can the manufacturers get more variety,or is just that they are a better product -or is there a conspiracy between tile manufacturers and adhesive/protective products manufacturers!!

Sponsored Links
Topps can get hold of the single part version of the adhesive you are using, it's made by Palace and called 'Easi flex' they just rebrand it with the Topss logo, £20 for 20kg white

Or they stock Bal single part flexible white which is about £23.

Yes, apparently you are supposed to seal porcelain but be very careful if it's a white Porcelain, always test on a plain tile and then grout. I rarely seal Porcelain, and I have never had staining. Porcelain has microscopic holes in it so supposedly it should be sealed, but I feel it's only neccessary for the cheap and nasty 'soft' Porcelain.

with bathstlye i dont normally seal a good porcelain, ur grout will do this for u, filling in any "holes" in ur tile. then just a good wash an clean.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.I did seal a section of wall today,and it leaves a sort of plasticy film which will presumably be damaged by the grout-as you say,probably best to do without it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back