Porcelain tile project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, newbie here with a few questions about tiling a 15 sq metres of wall & floor surfaces with 300x300x10mm porcelain tiles - not being one to make life easy for myself :)

The wall is plastered brick in good condition and painted with emulsion - will the paint need to be removed?
I'm going to buy a cheap(ish) tile saw, this one gets good reviews:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40530...230V?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-ERBAUER TILE-_-40530
Adhesive - I understand I need flexible adhesive and was going to go for a Mapei product (Keraquick) off the Screwfix website - is it suitable and do i need additive for it? Assume I can use it on the floor also?
I'm planning to use white Mapei Ultracolour Plus grout.
Is it best to lay the tile face up or face down when I cut the tiles on the cutter?

Thanks in advance,

ElShanko.

Sponsored Links
Ideally you should scrape off the emulsion.
The cutter looks fine. These always come with a crappy blade so you get what you pay for - a decent Marcrist blade would improve its performance but cost upwards of £30.
Bit expensive that adhesive - have a look at this stuff http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=2032-109 They do the adhesive in white also, so if you wanted to use white grout then the adhesive would not show through the grout as much as if it were grey. Personally, I won't have white grout anywhere in my house and recommend that others don't either. It very quickly looks grubby and is never properly cleanable back to how it was when new. Grey is the colour of choice for me - more tasteful IMO too. I rate white grout alongside gold taps. ;) :D

Thanks for the reply gcol :)
Good steer on the Dunlop adhesive but by the time I've added VAT and delivery to the Trades Direct price for white it's practically at the price I'll be paying for Mapei Keraquick around the corner (£27.99/20kg) ;)
I'm aware of the white grout grime issues but we like the contrast against a dark grey tile so will have to deal with it. Can anyone recommend a good grout sealant and are they worth using?
Once I've removed the emulsion from the walls should I seal or prime the plaster and can anyone recommend one that's compatible with the adhesive?

Many thanks,

Elshanko.

Bit of an update, I'm having trouble removing the black (bitumen?) glue from the concrete that was left by the old vinly tiles - I've read a few topics on the forum relating to this and they seem to say that this should be OK to tile onto with my powdered adhesive. The old vinyl glue is a very thin layer so there are no high spots.
Can anyone confirm that this will be OK for porcelain tiles, and will I be OK to use the Mapei Primer G over the old vinyl glue?

Many thanks,

Elshanko...

Sponsored Links
You'll have no problem with the old adhesive being there.
Worth mentioning that you won't need the primer on the floor - just use it on the plaster walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back