Porch, advice on way to go.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, have been mulling this over for some time, I have a recessed front door, open on two sides, 2150(h)*950(w) for the side and 2150*1450 for the front where the door would go. I've had a look online but can't really find any very similar, most seem to be the large 'beams'
As you can guess from the title I'm looking to enclose the area. My initial thought is a simple frame on the size, and a glazed door with side window to the front. Preference is for a varnish/ stained finish, a relatively basic design, in that whilst I want to keep the weather and wind out, I'm not expecting the same sealing as you might expect from your front door (so thinking single glazing will be fine). I was planning on making a relatively simple frame and put it straight into the gap.
As such I have a couple of seemingly 'simple' questions.
* Best Wood? Suspect most of the windows are pine (painted), but with wood on show, would I be better off going for oak or (i have read accoya)?
* Front door, would I require a cill? (not sure if that works with the step?)
* Gap between frame and wall, there are quite big gaps, well beyond caulking, whats the best way to fill this?

I'll probably have more questions as I move forward. Open to other view points though

porch1.JPG

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back