Porch conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to convert my old side of house porch into a toilet without having to rebuild.

I have had an extension on the back of the house a few years ago so this side porch is never used now.

I have a single skinned wall about 3 foot high and all UPVC Windows, Door and Roof. I cant add another skin on the inside or outside due to various issues and want to know the best way to do it.

I cant afford to have it rebuilt and dont want to go through the hassle of planning permission or building control.

I've had a few builders and most say build up the single skin wall and replace the roof, then insulate and board the interior.

Then some say they cant guarantee the wall will be strong enough to take a new roof and once you insulate it will be very tight.

I was thinking if I could replace the roof with a light weight one, then if possible replace the old UPVC windows with Insulated UPVC panels.

Does anyone know if you can get insulated panels which can replace the old windows and if so how energy efficient are they.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You could just knock it down and place a portaloo in its place? That sounds like a better construction to what your proposing. No planning permission would be required and no new plumbing either.

Like this:

image.jpg

Obviously you could paint it to match the house, leaving it green would just be uncouth.

only constructive suggestions and help please, I've had enough time wasters to last a lifetime

Sponsored Links
By installing a toilet the porch is no longer an exempt building and is therefore a change of use, this potentially means that you may have to upgrade to comply with additional regs in addition to the work to install the toilet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back