Porch door repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a porch door which has rotted on places.

I'm wondering what the best way to fill it and strengthen it is

I bought some wood filler which says it can be used for exterior use but wondered if I needed to use wood rot strengthener too and even if the exterior wood filler is good enough.

Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
You need to stabilise the wood first. A clear penetrating epoxy sealer is ideal for this, lots to choose from. I like and use Rustin's wood hardener for rotted wood as it's available most places.

Depending on how much is gone, you may be better off adding some new wood - you can use a adhesive like everbuild sticks all, it's cheap, flexible and is actually a vinyl composite adhesive. If you want a truly permanent repair it will achieve this, as removing it will result in destruction of the surrounding wood. You could also use something like 3M 5200 but it's much more expensive and most likely overkill.

As for fillers, toupret always highly recommended and I have found their wood repair filler to be very good. I would have also used their hardener, but it's hard to get ahold of locally.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back