Porch/Outside Light Switch wired to sockets circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wonderiing if anyone could clarify whether this is best practice

basically i'm in process of swapping all my light switches in my house for a certain type, they're remote controllable and can do all sorts like dusk to dawn features blah blah blah!... i've come to do the switch that controls the porch light/security light which is located in the front bedroom (directly above the porch & security light) and noticed the switch plate had got a fuse, so i turned off the lights mains circuit to take a look at wiring out of curiosity etc and upon testing the switch to make sure it was off it was actually still working!!! (good job i'm always cautious and check!! as they say curiosity kilsl the cat!! lol)

realised it's actually on the sockets circuit! is this normal? any reason it's on the sockets circuit? and assume the fuse is so if the lights blow for whatever reason it doesn't trip the CU and so that the lights work on 13A?

haven't checked the wiring but i'm assuming it's not going to be possible to swap with the light switch because it's a different current? 13A?

This is the switch spec i'm using to replace existing
Voltage: 110~250V/50~60Hz (Max.)
Current: 5A (Max.)
Function: Home Light Remote Touch Control /dusk til dawn features
Total Rated Load: 2000W
Operating Environment: -30~70 centigrade; less than 95% RH

Any advice, explanation/an education as to why it's on the sockets circuit.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
i've come to do the switch that controls the porch light/security light which is located in the front bedroom (directly above the porch & security light) and noticed the switch plate had got a fuse, so i turned off the lights mains circuit to take a look at wiring out of curiosity etc and upon testing the switch to make sure it was off it was actually still working!!! (good job i'm always cautious and check!! as they say curiosity kilsl the cat!! lol)
Well done. :)

realised it's actually on the sockets circuit! is this normal? any reason it's on the sockets circuit? and assume the fuse is so if the lights blow for whatever reason it doesn't trip the CU and so that the lights work on 13A?
Current(A) is drawn by the loads(lights), not supplied to them so it makes no difference.
It would normally have a 3A or 5A fuse.

haven't checked the wiring but i'm assuming it's not going to be possible to swap with the light switch because it's a different current? 13A?
As above.

Any advice, explanation/an education as to why it's on the sockets circuit.
Easier to access ? Makes no difference to the switch.

Sponsored Links
wow! thanks for the quick responses that's ace!!

Current(A) is drawn by the loads(lights), not supplied to them so it makes no difference.
It would normally have a 3A or 5A fuse.

So does that mean it doesn't need the fuse unit still in place? and i can do straight swap for new switch?

If you want to fit your new switch you need to retain the fuse unit to protect it

if i do, do they do a seperate fuse unit, assume it'd need to be fitted between the light and the swich?

im probably confusing / overthinking it... i kind of understand idea of fuse and it's purpose just don't know when you should or don't need to use one. :)

haven't got space for double patress box as directly next to the switch (mm's apart) theirs a double socket and the other side is the brick wall (it's in the corner of the room

So does that mean it doesn't need the fuse unit still in place? and i can do straight swap for new switch?
You should retain the fuse and you will be able to find a matching unit.

if i do, do they do a seperate fuse unit, assume it'd need to be fitted between the light and the swich?
Between the supply (socket) and switch so if you find from which socket it is wired you could place just a fused unit (no switch) next to it, then just have a normal switch.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
if i do, do they do a seperate fuse unit, assume it'd need to be fitted between the light and the switch?

You could re-use what you have, but other people may turn the switch off? and annoy you and the fancy new switch.

Therefore you may want to buy just a fuse unit.

e.g

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crabtree-...nents_Supplies_ET&hash=item3f17564512[/QUOTE]

Reuse what i have? No luckily its in an awkward location lazy reason/excuse for the fancy switch lol that n the dusk til dawn so wont need to mess! Sweet will take a look now! :D thanks

i've decided not to use my fancy switch instead i've found something else which might be suited for what we want but just wanted to query this with you guys... i know i'm probably asking some really rookie questions but want to make sure i do it right

i've got one of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/lightwaverf-in-line-relay-n64ll

however the fuse in this is 13A and the fuse in the current switch is only 3A... i assume i should replace the 13A with the 3A one BUT they are different sizes!?!

any advice, also as this device is fused - is this doing the same job?

if this works i will put the inline relay in the back box and put on a blank plate (and put label on blank plate)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back