Porch Overhang

5 Oct 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our porch isn't the finest example in the street but it does the job. It has quite a pronounced overhang - 150cm x 30cm x 2cm - which is starting to go rotten at one end (please see pics). Our DIY skills are exceptionally minimal and we're wondering if this is something that we can replace ourselves or should we get someone in?

If we do it ourselves what kind of wood should we get and how should we secure the new overhang to the porch?

If we get someone in, what sort of price would you expect to pay?

Thanks everso much in advance!

Sponsored Links
I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a great deal more rot than you can see, unfortunately.......I'd consider having the timber completely removed and renewed. If your luck is in, you could maybe use the original supports from the wall.
John :)
Oh dear,

Sounds like we will have to get someone in and also that it might turn into an expensive job. Guess we've got to do it though.

Thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for your reply. Unfortunately we live in a conservation area so the external appearance of the property needs to stay the same.

I cant see that being much of a problem to the average handyman, really.....more concern is that it doesn't appear to have any weatherproofing i.e felt or shingles on top?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local