Porch Roof - DIY construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at building a small porch roof over my front door. I've seen there are quite a few off the shelf solutions but most of these are designed for flat fronted houses.

I have the garage attached to the front of the house so the side of the porch roof would need to fit in with this.

I am looking to just build my own simple roof along the lines of using timber to create a triangle based frame, sloping forward, at the same angle as the garage roof. It would be attached to both the house front and the side of the garge support.
For the top layer I was looking to use ply covered with roofing felt to match the existing garage.

Does this sound sensible?

I have attached a photo showing the area above my front door.

2012-07-06%252015.55.36.jpg

Sponsored Links
So, basically you wish to extend the garage roof over the front door (in the same flat plane) to form a storm porch or do you wish to fully enclose?

If it is a storm porch then how far out from the front elevation do you wish to extend?

I say this because if it is not a great deal then a gallows bracket could be used to support the outer corner, otherwise you may need a post or a pillar.

If you intend to fully enclose then the walls will deal with the roof support.

Your only headache will be teasing the plastic cladding away from the wall in order to get your roof flashing up behind.

Its just just a roof I am looking to put on, not fully enclosed.

Ideally I would like it to protrude by around 1m which would mean it covers the first step in front of the door. In total around 1.7x wide by 1m long

I did consider that I may need a pillar/post to support the weight. I was hoping that providing side fixing would give that extra little bit of support to avoid the need of a post.

I did consider that I may need a pillar/post to support the weight. I was hoping that providing side fixing would give that extra little bit of support to avoid the need of a post.
You may achieve a stiff enough roof if you cantilevered the timbers by building them in but why bother.

At 1m projection a simple gallows bracket will do the job and be able to take a big bloke and a load of snow. You can buy gallows ready made.

Sponsored Links
You mean like this?

Porch.jpg

Perfectly feasible but i would use the garage and gallows as support, i would guess that its cinder or breeze block behind that cladding.

As said, cutting the cladding and getting a decent flashing behind it will be fun.

I was thinking more of a forward slanting one than a pitched roof style.

That said SWMBO is now starting to think its better to go for the full upvc porch so looks like my 'cheap' solution is going out the window.

Now time to find a custom supplier as I only need 2 full sides + roof. All the standard kits have an extra side which would be wasted.

I was thinking more of a forward slanting one than a pitched roof style.
I think in this instance, following the plane of the garage roof would be wise, rather than a pitched roof. The fascia detail following round will look 'correct'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back