Portable Air Con venting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to set up a portable air con unit in my baby sons rm as it gets uncomfortable hot in the summer due to being south facing and in a loft extended bungalow.

Running the vent hose out the window is a bit if a pain in the butt. I came to the conclusion that I'd like to bore a hole in the external wall and vent out that way.

The room is quite small so I'd like to only have the bulky air on unit in there as and when required. Over the colder months I'd like to remove the unit to save space.

The vent hose is of the 150mm diameter type.

My question is, is there such a thing as a 150mm cap or blank that I could fit over the hole when the air con unit isn't in use and is out of the room?

Feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong section.

Sponsored Links
Have you already bought the unit? I would advise a proper split system if you're going to go through the hassle of boring a large hole in the wall. Portable units can be noisy and unless the unit uses a dual duct arrangement, it will create a negative pressure situation in the room - this causes warm and unconditioned air to be drawn in to the room so the unit constantly fights with itself.

To answer your question, you do get blanking caps for winter usage, I had a unit a few years ago that came with one. Google something like 'portable air conditioner wall kit'

Last edited:
Hi David
Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on what you mean by a proper split system? I've got very limited knowledge of air con.

And yeah, I fully understand where you're coming from with regards to sucking warm air into the room. In my case that will be happening, something I never considered.

Sponsored Links
A split system is one which has the compressor unit fixed to the wall outside and the fan part inside, with small pipes between the two units.
They are much quieter due to half of the equipment being outside and don't have the problem of drawing air into the room (it's 100% recirculated inside the room).
In the winter, they can heat the room as well as cool it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back