Pos Earth Leakage Problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hotpoint WM83 Washing Machine and this has started to trip the RCD. I have tried it using a 3 core extension lead in different sockets but no joy. Using a 2 core extension lead, the machine will run through all the programs and not trip the RCD. Although not trained as an electrician, I am well aware the this could be a dangerous situation. The machine fills OK but as soon as the motor starts, the RCD will trip.

Apart from looking inside the unplugged machine to see if I can spot any wires touching, is there anything else I can try to locate the problem?

Sponsored Links
Could be a motor fault. The motor can be unplugged from the wiring harness so you could check if it still trips with it unplugged.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar fault on a hotpoint where it would run perfectly okay until it came to do some spinning. The vibration over the years has caused a cable to rub through and when the machine resonated when trying to spin up, the worn cable came in contact with the chassis and that's that. Unplug, take the lid off and closely inspect the wiring loom. You might also see where the steel has been spark-erroded, leaving a sharp sooty edge which you'll need to round off with a file to prevent it cutting through your cable repair.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back