position fan in shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to know if I need to re site my extractor fan in a shower room. It is above the shower cubical at the moment and I'm replacing the shower, toilet, sink. The new shower will be in the same position so am I obliged by regulations to alter where the fan is?

any info gratefully received

Sponsored Links
If it's suitable for the location, IP rated and LV it would be OK.

You need to look in the Wiki for Bathroom zones, then check the make of fan and research on the net.

The important thing is the distance bewwen the fan abd the nearest water source (shower head) and whether the fan is IP rated and LV to comply.

From what I've just found out it can't be just low voltage as some are, it has to be safety extra low voltage SELV.

Also if you haven't got a window in the room you need a timer to over run after you leave the room.

Sponsored Links
If the extractor is not directly over the shower cube or bath, then the rules are less stringent, so you can use a less expensive extractor. IMO it's worth doing when fitting a new extractor, it may not be worth the trouble if you already have one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back