Country
United Kingdom
Hi im installing a extractor fan in a shower cubical i need a IPX4 rating fan
splash proof

Can anyone tell me the difference between IPX4 and IPX44
Thank you

Sponsored Links
So i can use a IPX4 or a IPX44 in the shower in zone 1

Please read the WIKI. It is all there this link to bathroom zones reveals the following:

Zone 1

Equipment to be IPX4 minimum, IPX5 if water jets are used for cleaning.
Current using equipment may be installed providing it is 25V AC (RMS) maximum or 60V DC SLEV or PELV, the source being installed outside the zones. Items such as whirlpool units, showers, pumps, fans, towel rails, water heaters and light fittings may also be installed, see the manufacturers instructions.
Only switchgear with a maximum 12V AC RMS or 30V DC SELV may be installed, the source being outside the zones. This doesn't apply to switches inside current using equipment.

So that's your answer. IPx4 or IPx5. NOT a mains fan.

But there is more to it than that:
Please also note the part about RCD requirements and also the legal issues re electrical works in a bathroom.

Sponsored Links
So i can use a IPX4 or a IPX44 in the shower in zone 1
It will either be IPX4 in which the first degree of protection (ingress by objects) does not matter, denoted by the X, or IP24, IP44, IP45 etc. - not IPX44.

Hi all
I'm a newbee studying for C&G2382
One thing I'm confused about is bathroom extractor fans. Is it true that they must be ELV? All the books I have say ELV but the wiring diagrams in the WIKI show mains voltage, and when you look in the catalogues what you see mostly is Class 2 LV.
When I look in the Big Red Book 701.55 seems to say LV "ventilation equipment" is OK in Zone 1 but not Zone 0.
Can someone help me with an explaination?
Thanks
Laurie

Is it true that they must be ELV?
No
All the books I have say ELV but the wiring diagrams in the WIKI show mains voltage, and when you look in the catalogues what you see mostly is Class 2 LV.
BRB is the only one to go by. Not all authors are good.
When I look in the Big Red Book 701.55 seems to say LV "ventilation equipment" is OK in Zone 1 but not Zone 0.
As long as designed for the situation. You read correctly - fixed current-using equipment (no switchgear etc.) think of electric showers .

Use hollow conductors (or thick pipes, if you prefer) - heat and pipe the water at the same time :mrgreen:

Best to have a plastic shower tray though....

I think this goes to highlight some of the absurdities of the current "regime" in this country.

Some people will get very upset about a bathroom light fitting which is a couple of inches inside a zone on the ceiling and not suitably rated, or practically have a fit about the idea of fitting a regular socket outlet in the bathroom, even though somebody would have to be doing something pretty stupid for it to be a problem.

But stick a flimsy plastic box with 240V in it actually inside the shower cubicle, and that's just fine......

I think this goes to highlight some of the absurdities of the current "regime" in this country.
Some people will get very upset about a bathroom light fitting which is a couple of inches inside a zone on the ceiling and not suitably rated, or practically have a fit about the idea of fitting a regular socket outlet in the bathroom, even though somebody would have to be doing something pretty stupid for it to be a problem.
But stick a flimsy plastic box with 240V in it actually inside the shower cubicle, and that's just fine......
I couldn't agree more. However, it would be extrordinarily difficult (probably nigh on impossible) to create a set of explicit regulations that reflected common sense in all/most situations, and equally problematical to have regulations which allowed a lot of discretion - since neither practitioners nor inspectors could be relied upon to apply discretion sensibly. Having said that, some regulations (in many/most fields) do appear to be just plain daft, and there's little justification for that.

Kind Regards,John.

Even better - try talking to someone who lives in a conservation area about the interesting challenges they face in complying with both Planning and Building Regulations when, say, their windows need replacing.

Even better - try talking to someone who lives in a conservation area about the interesting challenges

Or about installing a new electricity supply and meter to a thatched cottage that is Grade 2 Listed in a conservation area. Bit of a nightmare to sort out.

To be honest I am finding all the officials, conservation, planning and network people are willing to help resolve the various problems and where necessary seem willing to be "lenient".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back