bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any regulations on where an extractor fan can go, i.e height etc?
i am using IPX4 fans.
i have scaled ceilings and was hoping to place one about 1.5m above floor height.

Sponsored Links
There seems to be a lack of replies, no idea why. I posted a question earlier, I got zero replies as well!

Anyway, given you have had no response from anyone else, here's my input, if nothing else it may motivate others to chip in (or not).

The standard 'zone' stuff applies. Here is a link to one of many sites that discuss the IP rating you need and other detail to follow regarding a particular zone. http://www.ctm.co.uk/extractor_fan.htm.

About Fans

If possible I would fit an 'in line' fan in a loft space etc via ducting. This is generally going to give you much better extraction than the 'through-the-wall' type fan approach. Make sure you fit a decent quality one - Vent axia are reasonable.

Make sure you AT LEAST meet building regs on the ventilation but remember than the extraction rates needed to meet regs are well below what is actually needed in practice, particularly in bathrooms etc.

Location of extraction point and inlet point

Make sure you locate the extraction point and air inlet points sensibly. You want to make sure that you pull air across the whole room with IDEALLY the extract point near to the point of maximum moisture (e.g. shower).

Ducts

Use large round solid ducts. Site the fan near to the extract point. Put a small slope on the pipe from the fan outlet going ouside to ensure any condensed water runs away from the fan. Traps can be fitted if slope can't be achieved. Insulate the ducting to keep the air warm until it reaches the outside to avoid condensing inside th pipe.

Fit a humidistat and timer.

Finally, make sure the room is kept warm.

Thanks, ideally ceiling and duct out through suffix, but i can't do this due to building regs and the stupid celotex!
looks like a big hole in the wall job for me.

Are there any regulations on where an extractor fan can go, i.e height etc?
i am using IPX4 fans.
i have scaled ceilings and was hoping to place one about 1.5m above floor height.
You can put an IPX4 item virtually anywhere you want (except in the bath or shower tray - zone 0) where it will not be exposed to water jets, when it must be IPX5.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back