Shower too close to extractor fan? Regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a disability and hence had a shower fitted above my bath. The guy who fitted it was an obnoxious brute, but when he left and I actually studied form on my bathroom, I discovered that the shower can quite easily spray into the extractor fan when the shower is in use.
Is there any regulations as I am having a bit a a battle with the company that organised the installation.
Any info would be gratefully received,
best wishes,
Merri :D

Sponsored Links
It depends on whether the extract fan is mains voltage or whether it is a low voltage unit. From what you describe, if the fan is mains voltage, then it would certainly contravene the IEE regulations. A low voltage fan will have a transformer unit located remotely from the fan to step down the voltage. You'll need to call the installer and ask.

Do you know if the fan is low voltage or mains voltage ? If mains voltage then this would fail as it falls into zone 1.

Look on line for 16th edition wiring regs bathroom zones that will give you all the requirements of how where it should be placed etc.

The 16th edition wiring regulations and part p building regulations are what installations now have to comply with by law, did you get any testing certificate of the company ?

hello paspotout...
The fan is run off the light fitting in the bathroom... have just gone to have a look at it and found that it has now DIED! It does not come on with the light now and I haven't used the shower yet and it was only installed Friday!! LOL!
I think that there will be fun and games ahead.
Thank you for your advice,
Merri

Sponsored Links
hello thompsk
The house is Council owned and as the grant for the shower was via a third party, I doubt whether it will be me who gets the certificate anyway.
Still, the guys who put it in were full of BS so we shall see what the company has to say for itself.
Thank you so much for your advice,
Merri

hello thompsk
The house is Council owned and as the grant for the shower was via a third party, I doubt whether it will be me who gets the certificate anyway.
Still, the guys who put it in were full of BS so we shall see what the company has to say for itself.
Thank you so much for your advice,
Merri

Even if its a council house you should still have recieved a copy of certification.
My advice would be to get in touch with the council explaining the problem that you believe the fan to have been installed incorrectly and dangerously and that you require an emergency visit to correct the dangerous installation. Failing that get in touch with the niceic and lndge a formal complaint as council will be nic registered.

Installed correctly you should have a remote transformer inside a cupboard or just outside your bathroom with an isolation switch for maintenance then a low voltage fan withn the confines of your bathroom shower area.

As my learned friend said just before me it is downright dangerous as it is now and is non compliant with the 16th edition regs.

Hello again!
A gentleman from the council has just had a look at it and has found YET ANOTHER problem with the shower - the on/off swith is broken...
He thinks that the shower head is too close to the fan (he has confirmed that it is a low voltage fan) and states that 3" is too close to the shower regardless.
Thank you both for your assistance,
Merri :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back