Position of hip rafter

What I meant is, if I decided to have a pole plate under the commons will it sit under the commons only and not the hip? Because the hip goes straight to the wall.

So basically I'll have my pole plate under 3 commons
We fit the commons and fit the hip blade. We then tailor the pole plate so that it collects the underside of the hip blade. You could cut the pole plate so that it butts against the hip blade then fix through the hip into the pole plate or fix a bracket from one to the other. Tricky with a bracket though because the hip will be a 45 degrees to pole.

And if you are wondering - yes you can slip the pole plate under the rafter ends after they have been fitted and fixed lower down at the wall plate.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to secure the wall plate!

If you do decide to fit the rafters before anything else, be sure to secure the plate to the wall including the side returns, as these will help restrain the front plate.

Great

When you say side returns, you mean the commons against the wall right?

Sponsored Links
Oh you mean the the 4x2 wall plates on the wall I think :)
Roger. The side elevation WP's should be jointed and screwed to the long elevation WP. You will need to trim the external corner of the plate so that the hip sits nicely as opposed to on a point.

Hi Nose all hope your doing well,

Could I ask a huge favour and ask if you wouldn't mind doing me another little sketch of my rafters going to the wall plate on the house rather then underneath.

The top half of our house is tile hung
So I'm thinking once the tiles and batterns are taken down the wall plate on the house shouldn't stick out 2 inches because the battern and tiles will be overlapping the wall plate :)

We're now going out a 1 metre and 3 meters across.

I've taken way the 100mm outer brick skin, 100 cavity and 50 wall plate, so my run will be 750 , pitch 38 degrees.

If you wouldn't doing me a sketch as to how the hip rafters meet the commons etc and maybe some rafter lengths which include a 200mm overhang for the soffit.

I know my hip rafter will be a lower angle but not sure what angle..

Really apretiate it nose

Sometimes you just gotta say no. I'm flattered you asked but I ain't no designer!
I could set it up easy for you on site but it's kind of hard to explain via a forum post.

The gist is that you form a 90° triangle with the wall plate the pole plate and the rafter. The tricky bit is that you have to take into account the fact that the rafter is b/m'd onto the wall plate and that the measurement therefore is taken from the peak of the b/m recess.
As for the hip blade, we trial and error ours into position as described in that link I posted earlier.(y)

Last edited:
That's great noseall, same measurements I worked out! I went on that course and learnt quote a lot but we didn't do hip roofs to a wall which was a tad annoying, but the instructer was trying to tell me how but me being me I didn't understand what he was saying!

So you've calculated 951 rafter length and the common rafter on the wall will also be 951 and then hip rafter which in the crook?

Pic from the course

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 126
So you've calculated 951 rafter length and the common rafter on the wall will also be 951 and then hip rafter which in the crook?
Yes, 951mm will be the length of the rafter in relation to the measure points specified on the sketch. However, in terms of soffit overhang, you are best off leaving the pattern rafter long, then try it in position. You can then mark the cut-off point using a level and a bevel. If things are running out of level or out of square, then it is sometimes best to leave the rafters long and trim the rafter ends in-situ, thus tailoring the soffit overhang to suit the building.

Please, just use that link to sort your hip rafter, it explains a lot - with pictures too!

Brilliant, my dad wants to make a start next week so I'll keep you updated :)

I've learnt how to use the ready reckoner tables and a Swanson square properly!

I didn't even know the hip rafter was a different angle, on the course we pitched a 45 degree roof and the hip angle was about 35 degrees.

Anyways cheers noseall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back