Please Help, Roofing Porch and Working Out Arris Hips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
im new to the forum and hoping somebody will shine some light on my problem, ive just had a small porch built on the front of my house, its a hip end roof, i have loads of reclaimed roof tiles from re-roofing the main roof last year and wanted to complete the porch in these plain tiles but with a arris hip on the hip edges, now i went along to a local reclaim yard and picked up some matching arris hips, i know these are angles, thing is how do i work out what degree my porch roof is, and is the angled worked out on the hip edge or the rafter angle? the arris hips i brought today seem to kick out to much? is there any way of working out what degree arris hips ive brought and what ones i need, getting annoyed with it really as cant find anybody who wants to shine some light on this, hate to just slap ridge tiles on it as im sure it would looking stunning done with arris hips.
hope somebody can help,
steve

Sponsored Links
The info' required when ordering arris or even bonnets is the pitch of the roof as opposed to the pitch of the hip.

The roof tile suppliers then provide the relevant hip tiles.

The pitch of your roof can be worked out by either using trig' or by using an angle finder. If you were to give me the rise and going of the roof i could work it out for you.

Regardless, your roof should be at least 35 degrees or steeper or else plain tiles are not suitable.

Hi
im sure it would looking stunning done with arris hips.
hope somebody can help,
steve
Might look good with mitred tiles over hidden lead soakers :idea: and a lot easier , with a small angle grinder and a diamond blade

Sponsored Links
wow that sounds like a good idea, do you form the lead soakers yourself or do you buy them from somewhere, need a few tips on this if anybody can help, great idea though, thanks

also would i need to buy some tile and a halfs or could i do this with normal size tiles.looking forward to replys, thanks

Mitred slate corners to the dormer windows was how I did it in France a couple of years ago.
View media item 34783 View media item 25585
I made up the soakers, but I can't remember now whether I used zinc or Ubiflex, 'cos lead is not allowed in France. I think it was zinc.
Some other original mitred corners didn't have soakers.

I used whole slate on each hip, in order to be able to fix each mitred slate, and adjusted the in-between bits. I don't know if that's the right way, but it worked for me. I also used the black mastic type stuff in the tube, under the slate, to give a little extra fixing.

Woa there chaps, hold on a sec!

A cut and soakered hip is fine as long as you don't let even a sparrow land on it because the tips of the cut tiles will be extremely fragile.

If there is any threat of a window cleaner or an errant football going anywhere near the hip then forget Nige F's idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back