Arris hip advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tiled the back part of the roof. Seemed to go well in my book but it is a straight run.

The front on the other hand has a hip and 3 valleys. I’ve been advised previously to start at the hip and work towards the valley. Just after some advice from those in the know how to keep my arris hips nice and straight and not on the p1ss.

Sponsored Links
You casually lay a tile each side of the hip, purely as a bottom edge guide. You then place your hip centrally on the hip rafter and level with the bottoms of the guide tiles. Then fix this hip. Don't be tempted to shove the hip one way or another in order to appease the tiles either side - ALWAYS CUT THE TILES TO SUIT THE HIP!

Cheers for that. Are you suggesting fixing all my arris hips before doing the rest of the tiles, or work my way up with the tiles as I go up with the hips?

Also, when simply tiling a straight run, you use eaves tiles to start. How do you start arris hips and valley tile runs?

Cheers for that. Are you suggesting fixing all my arris hips before doing the rest of the tiles, or work my way up with the tiles as I go up with the hips?
We usually fix the hips plus say 3 tiles each side all the way up. This means that when you start filling in, the three tiles gives you enough of a buffer away from the bedded hip so that you don't disturb the hips when fitting the adjacent tiles.

Also, when simply tiling a straight run, you use eaves tiles to start. How do you start arris hips and valley tile runs?
We do a dry mock up first, so as to establish the correct bond when starting out with the eaves.
Plonk an arris on and a couple of full plains each side including any shaping that needs doing to the plains each side of the arris. We then slide an eaves under the last plain and in half bond with that plain and knock a nail into the one visible nail hole. We then remove the mock-up tiles and run the eaves back to the end and under what was where the mocked up tiles just sat.

You may have to use a cut and mitred tile 'n' half at the point where the two eaves meet due to the fact you don't want two silly little triangles that will just fall into the gutter. There is no eaves hip

Sponsored Links
Progressing slowly with my hip. All seems to be going well. Added some frost retarder to mortar due to the freezing temps. The arris hips are a good fit. Almost. They seem to almost take a full tile each side to maintain bond. In an ideal world I would cut a tile and a half approx 5mm bigger than a full tile but have chosen to try and loose the gap in the course. Part laziness and part not having many reclaimed tile and a half’s.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back