Position of light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to embark on the conversion of my landing into a small 4th bedroom (8' x 6'). This will contain a built-in, enclosed, cabin bed which will make the existing light switch difficult to access. Wiring a new switch is no problem as loft access is easy and the new cable can be brought down through the new stud wall. The problem is that the side panelling of the bed will come right up to the edge of the door frame leaving no space for the switch. I cannot chase it into the adjoining wall as this will be covered by the open door.

Is it acceptable to mount the switch in the side panel of the space under the bed providing that the rear of the switch is made inaccessible. i.e. treat the panel as a wall and box in approximately 1 foot of the under-bed space to create a void.

Other options would be a pull switch or some sort of remotely operated unit based on the existing switch (which would still be accessible for maintenance).

What would you do? Any suggestions welcome.

Sponsored Links
A pull switch could be a good idea, don't really get the panel under bed bit or have the switch on the other side of the wall from where you enter the room.
You could change the door, so it opens from opposite side.

Will try and cobble together a rough diagram to show my ideas. Pull switch would certainly be the easiest option by far and I might end up doing that way. Just don't think it's that elegant.

I dont really understand your post (its probably me!) but would an architrave switch be helpful?

Sponsored Links
And don't forget that you'll need RCD protection to the switch line if it is run in the stud wall....

SB

I dont usually RCD cables in stud walls:

12.5mm board - 100mm timber - 12.5mm board.

125mm, so 62mm from each side of the plasterboard. ;)

Thanks for your helpful responses guys.

The bed will be too high to place a standard switch above it as it is enclosed to within a foot of the ceiling, so I think either a pull switch or an architrave switch will be the way to go.

Does a pull switch need to be mounted where it can't be reached from the bed (unscrewable cover) ? If so, that would put it behind the door again - I really am trying to cram a quart into a pint pot here and there's not a lot of room to play with.

Incidentally, out of interest, I wouldn't mind some clarification on the "RCD protection for stud-wall wiring" question. Current CU (only a couple of years old) is totally RCD protected but I was thinking of having it replaced with a split-load unit (or RCBOs for all but lighting circuits) so that I retain lights in case of an RCD trip. I'd heard that split-load units were no longer recommended but I'm not sure. Will obviously get work done to Part P if I decide to bother but I guess I'd rather be in the dark than dead so I might decide to live with the inconvenience (it's not something that happens every day after all).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back