Position of mains water supply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to replace our water supply and was just wondering if anyone has done this but taken the new mdpe supply pipe to a different point on the pavement to that of the old one.

Our old stop tap position would require going across the drive, so I'd like to just go across the lawn instead, leaving the new pipe several meters from the old tap. It wouldn't just be easier but would also mean we can get a skip on the drive for other jobs.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
the new mdpe supply pipe to a different point on the pavement to that of the old one.

Should be possible but will probably cost more, even a lot more, as you'll need a new connection to the main.

What the drive made of? You could have that section moled into a small excavation at your boundary.

If existing pipe is lead then it'll be best replaced altogether, ask the Water company to quote, they are the only ones that can do that section from the boundary to the main anyway.

Sponsored Links
The drive is decorative brick. Easy to take up but even if I did a decent job re-laying it'd need taking to up again 6 months as the ground settles. The big issue is needing to put a skip on the drive as we've currently got a kitchen full of concrete that needs removing.

I suspect the water company will say I need to go to the existing stop tap, even if I don't, as out will be a lot cheaper for them. This is a lead replacement job, so the connection should be free.

(Part of a whole house refurb that's grown rather a lot since buying it. Trying to keep costs down accordingly whilst wanting to get in before we go crazy. I'm sidetracked with a bad back this week apart from coaching my good lady in how to use an angle grinder and a jackhammer to cut a channel through 6" concrete along the path.)

Just to let you know, United Utilities told me that I have to go to within 1.5m of the existing stop tap.

Just to let you know, United Utilities told me that I have to go to within 1.5m of the existing stop tap.

Where abouts are you? A couple of my mates fit new stoptaps for Amey on behalf of United Utilities.

its simple to tunnel under a drivewy.
helps if the old supply pipe is galv steel but
not necessary.
if yourintrested come back on here an ill tell you what to do..

its simple to tunnel under a drivewy.
helps if the old supply pipe is galv steel but
not necessary.
if yourintrested come back on here an ill tell you what to do..

Do you mean without a moling machine?

I’m interested (y)

you trench from the external stop followin the line of the service pipe.
at the obstacle/driveway you dig small pits both sides to give a little elbow room.
if youve got a galv pipe in place cut it at both sides of the driveway.
then with a stilson an a persuader pipe turn the galv until its free.
then drive it back an forwards until you can
create a small diameter tunnel to ease the new pipe through.

sometimes its best to use say 22mm hard cu pipe an drive it through as you withdraw the galv.
then leave the cu in place an connect with whatever adapters to MDPE.

for lead service if its well stuck then ignore the lead an use long steels/probes or old 3/4" galv pipe to drive under the driveway.

seen it done with a jet of water but i dont like that method.

if your familiar with ground work you can adapt an improve on what we do only now an then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back