Position of shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new shower set up in a rented house. I have got this 1200mm long shower tray which I will use.

My question concerns the position of it. I want to have the shower trap at the front of the shower where you enter it. This means servicing the trap and waste pipe work in the future will be easier.

However the water will run this way and even though the trap has a good fall all around it I am worried the water might just run out the back and onto the flooring.

If I switch it around you will have the tiling and silicone around the bottom stopping any water leaving the area. But servicing the waste pipe and trap will be harder.

I am also building the tray on a plinth to get height as the outlet in the room to the soil stack is at floor board level.

Is my idea ok or not so good?

Attachments

• IMG_6123.jpeg
    IMG_6123.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6124.jpeg
    IMG_6124.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
That doesn't look like a tray, that looks like a shower former. That goes into/onto the floor and then you tile/wet floor vinyl over it. Not something you would usually set on a plinth.

I think you'll find the edge of the tray is level all the way round it. So the water is no more likely to overflow at any point than any other point.
So it doesn't matter which way round it is.

Looking at it again, if it is a tray, after thinking about it you do get contemporary trays like that, then that is more designed to be inset into the floor in a wet room with tile up to it's edge and then a large full sized open ended glass enclosure

1696235288329-png.315704

If it is a tray, then could it be used on a plinth, possibly but would need a full glass enclosure with door and would need to be fully sealed.

Sponsored Links
My plan is to use a piece of glass on the side (1200 x 1900 got it for £40). Then just use a shower curtain at the opening fitted to the bar holding the glass in place.

I think the tray is a fancy slate effect one and i got it for £10.

So if i do it as planned, water could overflow where the shower curtain is i suppose, but i am willing to take the risk. But the fall is quite good into this trap so I think it will only happen if blocked up with hair etc. The tenants are very happy to use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back