Positive head shower pump - positioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a conventional CH / hot water system with a copper hot water cylinder in an airing cupboard and a cold water storage tank in the loft.

I am looking into the possibility of fitting a shower pump to boost the pressure on our mixer shower. The cold water tank is in the loft on a platform approx 2-3 feet off the loft joists. The cold water pipe from cold water storage and the hot from cylinder run along the loft then down into the bathroom.

The shower valve is approx 4 feet below the ceiling in the bathroom with the shower head approx 2 feet above the valve.

I am looking to get a positive head shower pump, given the layout described above, but am unsure about placement. I thought I could mount the pump in the loft above the shower.....however I downloaded some installation instructions for a +ve head pump which states it must be below the hot water cylinder.

As I would like to fit the pump above hot water cylinder but below the cold water storage, would I require a negative head shower pump?

I would also like the pump to be fully automatic, I do not want to have to turn the pump on manually before showering.

Below is an extract from the installation manual. As you can see, the pump is next to the cylinder, I would like it above the shower in the loft (where the blue box is in the diagram).

Advice welcomed, thank you.

positive-head-system.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
A positive head pump can be anywhere up to 600mm below the cold water storage tank. Anything above that & you need a negative head pumps but that won’t work as you’ve drawn it. Even a negative head pump must be below the bottom of the cold water storage tank or water capacity will be restricted to what’s above the pump. Water can be pumped uphill but unfortunately it doesn’t flow unassisted uphill, you need to raise the CWS tank.

The pump will be automatic as long as it’s correctly installed & the plumbing is correct for the shower. I think you need either considerably more research or to employ a professional installer to avoid unnecessary expense &/or disappointment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back