Possibilities for extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Trusteel framed 1960's semi already had an extension when we moved in.This used up our extension allowance. Later, unaware of this we created a covered porch and carport which included a pergola in the space between the extension and the offset detached garage. Due to a difficult neighbour at the time, this all had to get retrospective planning permission.

The existing house extension does not cover the full width of the house, probably because of a sewer man hole cover and the soil stack are in the space. Would it be possible to extend the extension to bridge the space between there and the garage? we are talking roughly 11 foot from one point across to the garage and 9 foot at the other. Could the soil pipe become internal to the extension providing access is provided? The depth would be between 6 and 8 foot depending on this.

I need to see how feasible and costly this is before I start persuading my husband it is a good idea!

Thanks

;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Is this at the back or the side, not very clear (to me anyway)? Difficult to say whether you'll get permission or not, maybe post a photo or two? Are you in a conservation area or other oddity?

Some authorities offer free pre-planning advice (some charge) with fairly scant information (ie some very rudimentary sketches of existing and proposed plans/elevations, a photo or two and photo extract from Google earth can suffice to give you an idea as to whether it will be supported or not. Some will meet with you to go through it by appointment, some will be happy for you to just turn up and wait to be seen by the duty planning officer. Obviously the more info you give them the better their advice will be.

You can build over private sewers and although not ideal if needs be have a manhole inside. If its a public sewer it can be more difficult. From your description it sounds like its the sewer taking your own waste to the mains? If so no problem.

Costs for extensions are approx £1000/m² + fees which will be in the realms of £150 for LA Planning fee, to get drawn up say £600, Building Regs LA fee say £450, to get drawn up say £500 although may be able to avoid getting regs drawings drawn up. All costs approx.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back