Possible Asbestos undercloak 1995 build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, would an Cement undercloak contain any asbestos on a 1995 build in general? It looks in good condition, and won't require sampling unless any works need to be carried out on it.

Sponsored Links
I would be surprised as I thought 85 was the cutoff? Asbestos cement boards were generally ok unless you were sniffing it

I would be surprised if there was any especially considering its a relatively new build house, but I suppose you don't know when this undercloak was manufactured

Sponsored Links
My house was built in 1997 and I believe the undercloaks on the garage roof at least are asbestos cement so I think your undercloaks could be asbestos cement board.

My uncles house was built in 1986, and the undercloak there is asbestos cement, however does look different compared to my house. I have asked a surveyor and he thinks it could be a Superlux type cement board, but i feel it could be asbestos cement. Not sure if anyone else knows much about this on 90s builds?

People can't really say what material it is without seeing it .
p.s. Supalux (calcium silicate ) board was certainly a commonly specified material in building .

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely best to get it checked out in person. We can't rely on date periods and guesses as to when it was phased out -- I know for a fact a large UK retailer was installing asbestos products in its retail park stores until late 2001/early 2002.

You could have a brand new house, or flat. You could find some old artex in the shed, mix it up and then you have asbestos containing material in a new building. What products would this retailer be installing?

Is it worth getting it tested, how likely is it that it will contain asbestos, or would there be other substitutes used ?

You can have samples taken by an Environmental Services company or you can cut a small piece off and place it in a ziplock bag and send it off for testing.
I don't think a test sample would cost more than £15 or so..

I know its low risk, but I do find it alarming if asbestos was used on a relatively new build property. I know Asbestos cement was not finally banned until 1999. However, the dangers were well known then and even well before that, and there was substitute materials available.

There are no dangers from asbestos just being their.

It only becomes dangerous if you start making lots of dust by cutting/ drilling/ sanding, and doing so in a confined area.

Non of which applies to undercloak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back