Possible Breaker Fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondering if not being able to reset the breaker even with the consumer unit isolated is an indication of a faulty breaker?

The breaker in question is type ROH106B/030 and wont switch back on after being switched off this morning whilst I removed a ceiling light. There's only a live and neutral wire in the ceiling light and regardless as to whether I have the light connected or not the breaker wont come back on.

I have subsequently switched everything off and isolated the consumer unit but the breaker still wont switch back? Nothing else has changed whatsoever!

Any help greatly appreciated, looks like we'll be without lights tonight:(

Sponsored Links
One thing to check first... being honest; did you turn it off before starting or did it trip?

It could be that it needs pushing off all the way, before trying to turn it on.

Thanks, yes, I turned it off before starting to remove the ceiling light.

It doesn't seem to be possible to push it any further in terms of pushing it all the way, there appears to be only two positions, on/off, it's definitely off but wont go back to on?

Well, it sounds broken; not familiar with the specific RCBO so not sure if there's anything special to look for.

Sponsored Links
If competent, disconnect the 2 output wires of the Rcbo if it still wont reset then it is likely faulty.
Its a budget rcbo

59f1f59b9ee13.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions.......

Well it was interesting. I powered off all the breakers then powered off the isolator switch on the CU. I removed the output wires of the relevant breaker (red/black) then tried to switch the breaker on, still wouldn't switch back on. I put the output wires back into the breaker and switched the isolator switch back on. I then switched the individual breakers back on one by one. Very strange, the relevant breaker then switched on ok!

I switched it off again then re-connected the ceiling light. However, the breaker wouldn't switch on again. I disconnected the ceiling light and then I repeated the above procedure, however, on this occasion when I switched the isolator back on the relevant breaker would not come back on.

Certainly confusing me?

Not very technical but tap the Rcbo lightly with a screwdriver handle, sometimes they reset, even if temporary till you replace it.

ok thanks, will give it a try. Looks like my local Toolstation sells Wylex, MK and Axiom.....hopefully one of these may be better than existing.

You're supposed to use the same make as the box it is in. Just saying... Probably not a real problem to use a better one.

MK stuff is the same shape as CPN.

CPN is terrible stuff, always packing up. It shouldn't be allowed on the market.

Fitted new RCBO today and all seems fine now. I ended up fitting another CPN just to keep things the same. Comments noted about quality, I guess that's why they're half the price of other brands. Might try MK if I need another.

Thanks for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back