possible causes of damp in upstairs bedroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to the forum and a DIY novice, so any help is much appreciated.

The problem is I have just bought a victorian era terrace house and there seems to be some damp on the front wall of the upstairs front bedroom, mainly below the bay window.

Above the window seems fine, and the top of the wall in the room directly below it seems fine (to my untrained eye).

So what could be possible causes? is water coming through from the outside? is water coming through the roof and running down the inside of the wall?

who do I call out for this? a builder of a roofer?

Sponsored Links
Depends what the problem is, might be very simple to do, are the sealant round the bay window okay?

on the outside? not looked, on further inspection today the bit that seems a bit worse is the bit about 2-3 feet off to one side of the window

someone suggested it could be a pipe that is leaking, but I couldn't imagine what pipe would be in that postition???

but as I am by no means an expert there could well be a vital pipe there lol

someone else mentioned it could be the pointing and there is something transportsing the moisture across from the outer wall to the inner wall?

does that sound possible?

Sponsored Links
no, but I'll get some, got a bloke coming this afternoon to have a look, I really, really hope it is a simple job lol

window putty could be shot wood windows rotten,render could have cracks, flashing over window could need replacing and water running down caverty,or if you have radiator this could be leaking, probable be render or mastic around window.
good hunting and good look :confused:

Condensation, water runs down window onto sill and then runs down around sill to soak wall and give damp patches.

I had a similar problem on my house the front bedroom was damp and it was the rain lashing on the walls, a few new bricks and some good mortar and the problem has vanished, dried the room out and re-decorated a year ago, never seen it again.......................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back