Possible hanging chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm about to redo our bathroom and in doing so, I've noticed that there is a chimney breast in the far corner. It sits above what we assume was originally the kitchen. There is no chimney stack below it in there.

This isn't mentioned in the surveyors report... so I'm just a bit nervous about it. And obviously if something needs to be done about it, then I'd rather sort it before doing the bathroom.

I've attached some photographs. It is an edwardian mid terrace. The window opening in the downstairs kitchen actually sits where a chimney would conceivably have been.

Are there circumstances where this "rear addition" room would originally have been built with a chimney breast upstairs, but not downstairs?

If this is the case, what can I look for to put my mind at rest without calling in an expensive structural engineer

Photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125661825@N08/

I've tried to see if it is supported in anyway, but the loo is in the way and there seems to be a lower level of floor boards about 3 inches below the actual floor boards (funny - they aren't there on the other side of the room because I had the boards up elsewhere to install some lights).

Any thoughts[/url]

Sponsored Links
Are there circumstances where this "rear addition" room would originally have been built with a chimney breast upstairs, but not downstairs?

Any thoughts[/url]
Unlikely on that house. How many pots at the top?

Looks like there are only two pots on the chimney stack which is shared with next door - so only one for our house...

Sponsored Links
I would think that the lower level of floorboards were there to support the original hearth stone. I general it looks like a job well done. I would not worry about it.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back