Possible negligence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I have posted on here before about my heating problems, mainly in this thread below:

//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/power-flush.292408/

The plumber turned up today to change my system to a sealed system due to the problems with cool radiators and the boiler cutting out with air in the system and sludge etc.

The plumber has completed the work and everything seems to be working ok, however he has made me aware of something which he says is very serious.

When removing the F & E tank in the loft he found a 22mm stop end in the expansion pipe which could have caused the heat exchanger in the boiler to blow if the safety controls hadn't been working properly.

The plumber thinks I have some redress against the firm who installed the boiler and completed a power flush due to the gross negligence of this.

I am no expert but do you guys think I should contact the company and threaten reporting to Gas Safe?

Many thanks,

James

Sponsored Links
Its not a gas safe issue!

Its classed as dangerous but its not that dangerous because the system was still vented to air pressure via the cold feed.

I would normally expect the cap was put on either when power flushing and forgotten or intentionally to prevent pump over.

It would not surprise me at all if it was fitted for the latter reason without telling you ( because whilst it prevents the problem its classed as at risk ).

Now its sorted not worth chasing ghosts!

Tony

Thanks for the reply.

I am in 2 minds to be honest with you. I have had so many problems with the system and I am glad it is now sorted (apart from downstairs radiators cooling when heating and hot water is on).

However I am angry that I have given the initial installer so much money to do a job which I think hasn't been done properly. They even fitted a new mid position valve which now seems to be the problem regarding cooling radiators!

You are most likely correct though and I should leave it as it is and put the whole sorry saga down to experience.

Sponsored Links
Not a snowflake's chance in hell of winning anything in court for a number of reasons of which the most important are:
1. It is not dangerous.
2. You don't know who put the stop there.
3. The system was not maintained properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back