Edinburgh tenement flat system drain point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While I appreciate it may be difficult for anyone to say without seeing it, but wondering if anyone can help locate the central heating draining point in my flat. The plumber I had out was not sure - think he is not used to older flats.

System, I think, needs a good flush and cleanse and flush and inhibitor put in. Had a combi boiler installed last year that failed about 9 months later and the engineer said it was probably due to sludge and muck in system. The system does take some time to heat up but has no cold spots on the radiators or anything.

As I say, the plumber I had to look at it recently to service the boiler and talk about doing this work was used to more modern houses, I think, and not sure where there might be a drain point or how to drain system. There is a valve with a pipe that leads off towards the front of the flat. When opened, the boiler started losing pressure, but not sure where this pipe might lead (it definitely doesn't go back into the system, anyway). Is this likely to be a drain point?

Can anyone advise? I'd rather not get another plumber out just to look and the plumber that installed the boiler does not, I think, trade any more and does not answer his calls. Should say though, that I don't think he's dodgy and we were pretty happy with his work.

Sponsored Links
There may not be one - there wasn't even a drain-off tap on my last flat's.

Current flat has a pipe that works its way out to the WC overflow at the back. The plumber called this a 'scoor'

Ask the neighbours as it's quite likely to be similar in many flats in the street, if it's a local idiosyncracy.

As I say, the plumber I had to look at it recently to service the boiler and talk about doing this work was used to more modern houses, I think, and not sure where there might be a drain point or how to drain system.
He doesn't sound like much of a plumber.

There is a valve with a pipe that leads off towards the front of the flat. When opened, the boiler started losing pressure, but not sure where this pipe might lead (it definitely doesn't go back into the system, anyway). Is this likely to be a drain point?
It sounds like one, can't you follow the pipe. Have the people below started putting umbrellas up?
If all else fails you can drain a rad and use one of the valves as a drain point.

If you open the 'scour' valve you should see water pishing out the back or the front of the building. What floor are you on? Hibeealex is on here now & again, he may know the location of the scour.

I hate Edinburgh, all Weggies do. All Edinburgers are tight gits.....'Come away in you'll av had yer tea'!! In that singy voice that sounds like someone is rubbing their balls with a duster!!

Sponsored Links
In that singy voice that sounds like someone is rubbing their balls with a duster!!
:LOL: :LOL:

I hate that posh Edinburgh voice as well dick. That prck on "Coast"...'Now you just sit there while I talk down to you'...cnt.

Since they got the Scottish Parlament there, f.ck all money is coming to Glasga. All the dosh is being spent on the Burgers & it's dripping with AIDS.
There's more brothels per square mile in Leith than Vegas!!

Since they got the Scottish Parlament there, f.ck all money is coming to Glasga. All the dosh is being spent on the Burgers & it's dripping with AIDS.
There's more brothels per square mile in Leith than Vegas!!

well, erm, thanks for the warm welcome to the forums. just as well I'm not originally from Edinburgh or I might be offended.

potentially the drain valve could be anywhere, but should be where it can be accessed easily, ie not in the middle of a room somewhere, are there any loose boards under the boiler, thats a common place, there are drain valves that go on the pipe outside (google MT or drain cock) it has an 8mm square head and a connection for a hose, they arent much good 2 or 3 storeys up, the valve that you found could be it, shouldnt be too risky to turn it and have a look out of the front and back of the building to see if water is coming out, can you see a 15mm open pipe sticking out of the wall anywhere in line with under your floor, make sure nobody id in the gardens below when you open this they will get covered in hot water, (an electrician mate of mine did this changing a faulty immersor about 15yrs ago in a flat in glasgow, the near boiling water just missed an old guy in the garden, he wasnt too chuffed to say the least and alls well as it missed but it could have been a disaster

potentially the drain valve could be anywhere, but should be where it can be accessed easily, ie not in the middle of a room somewhere, are there any loose boards under the boiler, thats a common place, there are drain valves that go on the pipe outside (google MT or drain cock) it has an 8mm square head and a connection for a hose, they arent much good 2 or 3 storeys up, the valve that you found could be it, shouldnt be too risky to turn it and have a look out of the front and back of the building to see if water is coming out, can you see a 15mm open pipe sticking out of the wall anywhere in line with under your floor, make sure nobody id in the gardens below when you open this they will get covered in hot water, (an electrician mate of mine did this changing a faulty immersor about 15yrs ago in a flat in glasgow, the near boiling water just missed an old guy in the garden, he wasnt too chuffed to say the least and alls well as it missed but it could have been a disaster

Aye, we have the same problem with the high flats Kirk.
Someone ****in on you when your sitting in the carpark enjoying yer Buckie & deepfried Marsbar.

Scour valve may be under the floor at your Close door or teed into the blow-off pipe at the boiler? Teed into the auld HW cylinder scour below the floor. Seen it soldered into a lead waste or soil pipe under the floor.

In that singy voice that sounds like someone is rubbing their balls with a duster!!

I hate that posh Edinburgh voice as well dick. That prck on "Coast"...'Now you just sit there while I talk down to you'...cnt.

If that's Neil Oliver, he grew up in Ayr and Dumfries before attending Glasgow University to study archaeology.

Not as bad as the Co-Op voiceover. "Gud. With Fud."

If that's Neil Oliver, he grew up in Ayr and Dumfries before attending Glasgow University to study archaeology.

Not as bad as the Co-Op voiceover. "Gud. With Fud."

Oh it was Neil Oliver Ray's talking about!! Ach, ignore Raymondo he's a scouser. Here, at least Neil is better than that English **** with the brolly!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back