Draining and Filling System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having decided that Power Flushing my new system is going to be an expensive option I am going down the route of draining and cleaning the system myself.

I simply have a combi boiler and no tanks, to drain the system is it as easy as undoing the draining valve I have outside the house and letting gravity do it's job and the water flow out of the pipe, or do I need to do something with the boiler other than make sure it is turned off.

Once this is drained I then fill the system back up by closing the valve I opened to drain it and turn the tap on under the boiler which I use to top the system up after bleeding the rads??

When I have drained the system once I intend to then add chemicals to leave in there to try and cleanse the system can anyone recommend any?

When I finally fill the system I guess some sort of inhibitor would be good to add again any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I did this on my combi yesterday and it worked fine. I had added some Fernox SuperConcentrate Central Heating Restorer (about 25 quid, comes in a mastic gun cartridge for adding through a radiator). just over a week ago, let it run around for a while. Then yesterday I drained it out, filled with cold water, drained again etc. It took quite a few goes before the water was clear. I got quite a lot of brown water, and some (thin) bits of black-brown scale. I don't think it was very seriously scaled cos its quite a new system and I descaled the heat exchanger manually. Just didn't have any/enough inhibitor in.

After that, I added the central heating protector, which is the general inhibitor. Other brands are available, but these Fernox ones are handy for adding to sealed systems when you don't have a tank to pour into. More expensive though.

If your radiators are very badly sludged/scaled, you might want to drain the system and remove them one-by-one and stick a hose pipe through them. Bit messy but more efficient than filling/emptying the whole system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back