Possible newbie Renovation Blunder - Advice please - PHOTOS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Nearing the end of a full renovation of a property I started at the beginning of the year.

When re rendering/plastering the internal walls, I neglected to remove the render from a damp upstrais chimney breast.

I fixed the chimney, (repointed, flaunched, vent caps installed and new lead flashing)

However I did not remove the damp/cold to the touch plaster/render.

It was skimmed over and the damp appears to be showing through.

My question is do I need to remove everything on this back to brick, or will one of the stain/damp block paints be enough to stop the stains showing through?

Also - as the chimney is now presumably drying, if left untreated would these stains eventually disappear?

Thankyou!

Sponsored Links
If the render was damp then the brick behind it would have been damp as well. I'd work on 1 month per inch to dry it all out then once it is properly dry you could apply a stainblock before painting.

If the render was damp then the brick behind it would have been damp as well. I'd work on 1 month per inch to dry it all out then once it is properly dry you could apply a stainblock before painting.

It was replastered maybe 6 months ago now, should I expect to see the staining marks physically disappear or do you just stainblock after the drying out has taken place, which isnt actually visible? If that makes sense..?

Thanks

Get yourself a moisture meter they start at about £10 in a DIY outlet, you can then find out if its drying out or you still have problems.

The water stain will not disappear, when the area is dry paint it with stain block or cheaper still, oil based undercoat. Then decorate as normal.

One other thought if its a chimney breast that has been closed off and not now in use, is it vented inside, and chimney capped.

home-banner.jpg

Sponsored Links
Get yourself a moisture meter they start at about £10 in a DIY outlet, you can then find out if its drying out or you still have problems.

The water stain will not disappear, when the area is dry paint it with stain block or cheaper still, oil based undercoat. Then decorate as normal.

One other thought if its a chimney breast that has been closed off and not now in use, is it vented inside, and chimney capped.

home-banner.jpg

It has been capped with a vented C-cap and also air vents been put into the chimney.

I did a bit of reading and others suggest from coal being burnt in the chimney previously, hygroscopic salts could be present and the stains may never go away now, if this was the case would the stainblock actually stop the stain being visible? Or is it a case of remove all plaster back to brick and re render etc?

I`d stick to a good white oil based undercoat in this situation, never had any problems, but make sure it is dry.

You should have left the chimney alone. Most of those caps create the problem rather than solve it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back