Possible outdoor circuit with timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know it is too late for this year but I want to think about a mega Xmas lights display for next year.

I was thinking of just doing a couple of external sockets through the wall from internal ones (with RCDs of course) but have changed this to having a new, but external ring main installed instead. Have got spare slots available on modern fuse board.

I have however got a few questions if that is ok, as I do not want to look silly with my electrician :oops:

1) Can a ring have a combination of lights and sockets or does it have to be one or the other.

2) I wanted to have a combination of external sockets at foundation height and the weatherproof boxes higher up that have the multi extensions inside, or will that cause a problem. Would I be better off having an external socket immediately next to the weatherproof boxes rather than wiring the extension lead into the ring (from a replacement point of view later on)?

3) Is there any way of getting an internal switch or even a timer switch that could control the whole circuit? Possibly both so that it can be switched off in summer and timed in winter?

4) Will the RCD on the main fuse board be enough or will I have to have a RCD hard wired into the circuit?

Think this is all I need to know about for now but will add if I think of anything.

Thanks in advance for all your help and yes I will be getting a qualified sparky to do all of this !!

:D

Sponsored Links
If you're getting a sparky in, best leave the circuit design to him.

However, here's my thoughts:

You don't need a ring.

When you say lights and sockets, don't the lights terminate in a plug?

A huge weatherproof box up the wall will look unsightly.

You would not necessarily wire an extension lead into the circuit, unless suitably fused down.

Yes. Bear in mind you may want to use the sockets all year round for garden power tools.

The RCD on the main board is hardwired in.

You can have external ones as well, but there's no guarantee of discrimination.

I know it is too late for this year but I want to think about a mega Xmas lights display for next year.
Oh dear.

I was thinking of just doing a couple of external sockets through the wall from internal ones (with RCDs of course) but have changed this to having a new, but external ring main installed instead. Have got spare slots available on modern fuse board.
A radial will do.

I have however got a few questions if that is ok, as I do not want to look silly with my electrician :oops:
I believe you.

1) Can a ring have a combination of lights and sockets or does it have to be one or the other.
The circuit can have both.

2) I wanted to have a combination of external sockets at foundation height and the weatherproof boxes higher up that have the multi extensions inside, or will that cause a problem. Would I be better off having an external socket immediately next to the weatherproof boxes rather than wiring the extension lead into the ring (from a replacement point of view later on)?
Whatever you want.

3) Is there any way of getting an internal switch or even a timer switch that could control the whole circuit? Possibly both so that it can be switched off in summer and timed in winter?
Of course.

4) Will the RCD on the main fuse board be enough or will I have to have a RCD hard wired into the circuit?
No need for another RCD.

This all legally notifiable work.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I live in a bunglow with quite a large overhang of soffits over the bay, so was thinking of putting the weather box out of the way there.

What sort of timer would I be looking at to control the whole circuit?

Yes I would let sparky design the circuit. Would just let him know what I was looking for.

Also what is a very very approximate cost of this sort of work/circuits from a labour point of view. Just need to know if it is likely to be a couple of hundred pound or nearer £500?

Thanks for future feedback.

Sponsored Links
I would be thinking about feeding a small deidcated consumer unit from a spare way in the exisiting unit.
I the small consumer unit for the xmas lighting you could have as many circuits as you wanted and also house a DIN rail mounted time clock and a contactor to switch the supply to all the circuits.
Dont bother with ring final circuits for this job a few radial circuits will be fine. Of course RCD protection is essential, Cost wise the job may go nearer to the £500 or more depending on the complexity of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back