possible sticky thread for what/which plaster

H

huddsspread

Would it be ok to have a sticky thread on what and which plaster products do and when they should be used? As lots of people ask the same sort of question. And not many people have been on a british gypsum course to learn all there stuff...

example

I have only ever used multi,bonding, sand and cement,lime, and hardwall on a handfull of occasions. Could someone give an accurate summary, so people can understand in easy english. Ive never used browning, so never had to know about it or what it does, the same with hardwall untill a year or two ago. I would think it would say something like this...

Multi Finish--used for final skimming on different surfaces, eg plasterboard, old plaster, new plaster etc.

Bonding coat - used for a backing plaster onto bricks so a flat surface can be achieved, then multi finish can be used on top etc...or something to those words.

Dont think you need to add in dri coat etc or the one for hospitals..Someone can explain it better than me.

Sponsored Links
All you need to know about browning is it's crap. ;)

But I agree with the sticky idea.

I would think it would say something like this...

Multi Finish--used for final skimming on different surfaces, eg plasterboard, old plaster, new plaster etc.

Bonding coat - used for a backing plaster onto bricks so a flat surface can be achieved, then multi finish can be used on top etc...or something to those words.

Dont think you need to add in dri coat etc or the one for hospitals..Someone can explain it better than me.
or like this brad bg already do a plasterboard selector guide that could be used as a sticky
http://www.british-gypsum.com/pdf/LIT_Thistle_Plaster_selector_guide_03.pdf

I meant for it to be explained a bit easier for people, like someone asking about hardwall on another thread, peaps then replied and said he wouldnt use it in a bathroom. It dont tell you that on that guide. That guides good for us i suppose, but for some people it might not b.

Sponsored Links
I agree with you, huddspread, especially as there is so much ignorance about lime plaster. Too many people reckon you can use other products over lime or to replace it but know nothing about old buildings and lime breathing etc.

Can always consider the plastering wiki already in place. Has a section on base coats - which could be extended (more detail, use of lime etc)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back