Possible supporting wall questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are looking to knock down a wall between our dinning room and kitchen. At first glance it appeared to be a stud wall only. However, having talked to neighbours and noticing that the joists run perpendicular to it, it seems that it might be supporting. The span from kitchen to the end of dining room is just under 6m (wall at approx 3m). Does this sort of span require support (house built in 1987 and is timber framed)

We will of course get someone in to investigate this properly, however, one of my proposed builders is suggesting the following to support the new span (just over 3m across):

Two 250mm x 50mm timber joist glued and screwed together supported on 125mm x50mm x 4 cripple studs to both sides double sheeted in 12.5mm plasterboard plaster finished.

Does this seem (depending on load calcs etc) like a reasonable solution?

Thans for your help

Sponsored Links
I'd just never heard of sticking two beams together with screws and glue. However if this is good practice then that's fair enough.

I would be happier using steel.

This is S.E. territory though and is controlled work, so would require signing off and will require calc's to get signed off, so you are back to an S.E.

Sponsored Links
I would be happier using steel.

This is S.E. territory though and is controlled work, so would require signing off and will require calc's to get signed off, so you are back to an S.E.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an S.E.? I had wondered if steel would be required.

Sounds reasonable to me too but I don't think glue will be of benefit. Everything else seems fair enough :)

I don't suppose the glue would cost much though! :)

No, that's true, and it won't do any harm. :) BTW I have seen seen a number of timber frame houses with 3m lintel spans (windows) on external walls supporting the roof with the timber sizes you mention using double cripple studs. This is what leads me to believe your builder isn't far off the mark.

Sounds ok.
Wouldn't wanna be adding steel to a timber framed house.
The glue would certainly add strength.

Thanks guys. The builder has recommended an architect to come and have a look at it for us. We will probably need drawings and load calcs to get a building warrant (Scotland). Is an architect the right person or would a structural engineer be better?

SE. Architects design things. SE's figure out how it's gonna stay up.

Don't let him get an architect as then he'll get his own SE involved and you'll be paying to fill up 2 BMW's.
(of course the architect could also be a qualified, insured SE. Unlikely though)

SE. Architects design things. SE's figure out how it's gonna stay up.

Don't let him get an architect as then he'll get his own SE involved and you'll be paying to fill up 2 BMW's.
(of course the architect could also be a qualified, insured SE. Unlikely though)

Thanks. I suspected that. :)

Hi

There is no need to involve an architect in such a small project the SE will be able to provide you with adequate drawing/s, and they will be able to give you the best advice!

For example: I have never heard of gluing the two beams together, in the past the beams would have been bolted together along the neutral plane at around 600 centres again SE will be able to provide exact details, including end bearing detail.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back