Supporting wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are considering work which would require a wall to be removed between the kitchen and dining room. However, due to some comments from a neighbour we have some suspicions about the wall being supporting.

The joists above do cross the wall at the perpendicular, however, the wall does look like a simple wooden stud. To try and resolve the question I cut some wall and coving away close to the ceiling and this is what I see. (There is an arched doorway just off the bottom left of the pictures, though no door)

The wooden stud has gyprock above it which passes from one side of the wall to the other. Could this still be supporting?, i.e. it would have to be supporting through the gyprock. Is this possible? Or is this a good indicator that the wall is not supporting?

Sponsored Links
Looks like a stud wall, I'd tap all along it to check that it is all hollow and not just part studded.
Is that paramount plasterboards?
does it have cardboard corrugation

Yes it does seem hollow all the way across. I'm asking here because the builders are very wary (probably because of the neighbours comments) and are suggesting a survey. I don't want spend £500+ unnecessarily if it is obviously not a supporting wall. (Of course if there is any real doubt best to get it checked)

I'm not sure about the plasterboard, I can certainly check when I'm home. I take it this makes no difference to my original question?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure about the plasterboard, I can certainly check when I'm home. I take it this makes no difference to my original question?
No make no difference, just not usually installed like that.
What's above this wall? in that I mean is there another wall above this upstairs?
And what is that made of, there is a good chance it's a non-supportive stud wall, if your employing experience builders, with a little investigation they should be able to check this out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back