New door way - Is it safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the original kitchen doorway. The small wall (butress wall?) sits beneath the floor on a honeycombe foundation. wallView media item 30294
The small wall originally connected at right angles to the longer side kitchen main supporting wall as shown here:
View media item 30297
I've cut through and knocked down the brickwork to the right of the original door (small wall) in order to make a new doorway. I used a 4x3 wooden lintel and bricked back up 4 courses of brick up to joist above. There is no particular weight above here and the above joist is going with the direction of the brickwork.
View media item 30295
I then added extra support using 4x3 and 4x2 as a studded wall which has subsequently been plaster boarded
View media item 30296
My main question is: Has the main supporting larger kitchen wall (2nd pic)) been weakened by me taking out the smaller wall attached to it?

Sponsored Links
I've read your post a couple of times mazears and, maybe it's just me, but it's not immediately obvious what you've done.

Are you saying you've removed an original wall (pic 1 cream door) which ran at right angles to the longer brick wall (pic 2) and have used a 4*3 timber lintel to support the opening and then boarded the opening back up (minus door opening) with timber stud and plasterboard? Can you confirm that's what you've done?

Post a scanned diagram in plan view of how it was originally and how it is now.

Try and state more clearly what work you have done and what your concerns are now.

Sponsored Links
Judging by the fact that the wall you removed had a foundation under you can safely assume the wall to be load bearing thus making your little wooden lintel highly inadequate.. i would suggect you replace it with a beafier concrete or steel lintel deisgned to take the loading from whatever is above the opening..

From the picture, it looks like you have a substantial joist immediately above the doorway already spanning the gap. What's more, theres another substantial joist immediately above that one. Personally I wouldn't be worried.

In fact I wouldnt have put bricks above the doorway and just have studded and boarded all the way up, as the bricks seem to be just dead weight against that somewhat undersized door lintel. But I am not a structural engineer!

The only way to be absolutely sure is to get a site visit by a proper surveyor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back