Window into new Entrance Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm planning to open up an existing window into a new main doorway (interior to exterior).

Other work in the house mean that I'm loosing my existing front door so I want to make a new one into my sittingroom. I think that one of the windows in the sittingroom was once a doorway (old neighbours say it was and the wall is thin and newer there - there's also built in book case beneath the window).

Here are the facts:
It's an old house - 1800? built of local stone and lime and mortar.
There's an old (supporting) beam sitting immediately next to the window lintel.

Can I just trust that the lintel above the window will be fine if I'm just removing the window beneath? The window frame is pretty small 50mm x50 each side - do they ever carry load?

If I take out the (newer) brick wall beneath the window, is there any danger of the old walls eitherside sagging into the door space - ie: could this newer wall be bracing the old sides?

Any help or experience anecdotes are very welcome!

Thanks!

(see my post on "Porch" for the porch I plan to put over the doorway).

Sponsored Links
As long as you are not making the opening any wider it should be fine, but condition of the existing lintel should be check, you may find there isnt one - in which case it may need replacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back