Remove Door and window beneath lintel to create opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

So to give you an overview, 1930 semi-detached property with solid wall (no cavity) - I have had a porch built in front of the original exterior wall, door and window of the house. The porch has been built to the spec of a proper extension, insulated floor, insulated cavity wall and insulated pitched roof and composite front door.

I want to remove the original door, window and wooden frame and the brick with makes up the window sill on the right so that there can be an opening in the new porch. There is a concrete lintel that spans the opening.

I plan to cut the brick down in line with where the brick work starts on the upper right section (where the right most section of wooden window frame screws into).

My question while it may sound stupid, is the wall beneath the lintel that I wish to remove along with the wooden frame providing support to the wall above? Or is the lintel that spans each corner of the opening supporting everything, providing I follow the same brick line on the right when cutting out the wall?

Below is a picture which I appreciate isn’t great but just to give you a visual idea also.

cheers

Sponsored Links
What you propose to do is fine.

What do you intend to do with the electrical socket?

What you propose to do is fine.

What do you intend to do with the electrical socket?

Thanks for your reply - regarding the socket that will be relocated into the right wall of the porch, got an electrician who can do that.

Ok so i thought id chip off some more of the render today on the exterior wall - see images below.

The render comes off in nice big slabs on the brick work, however over the lintel its adhesed good and proper, so when hacking away at it, it pulls some of the concrete of the lintel with it.

Top Section of the door frame notches into the brick work on both sides - i assume in this case i will saw the top wooden frame so that the part that is still inside of the brick work (approx 2 inches) remains?
This baton is around 3 inches wide and does not span the full width of the lintel as you can see in the pics provided.

Any more comments are appreciated.

What are you getting the render off the lintel with, a gattling gun? :eek:

Sponsored Links
What are you getting the render off the lintel with, a gattling gun? :eek:

Lol not quite, just bolster and hammer.

The render has stuck so well to the face of the lintel, its a huge ballache to get it off.

Got the rest of the render off the brick work this afternoon in 30 mins, just the remaining over the lintel for now.

Are you chipping it sideways, using the chisel as a wedge between the render and lintel surface?

Are you chipping it sideways, using the chisel as a wedge between the render and lintel surface?

Correct, I am not hitting it direct on like you would a nail in a wall for example.

The brick has a smooth surface so I could get large sheets of it off at once.

The lintel on the other hand looks to have been casted in onsite when the house was built.

The surface face of the concrete lintel appears to be a perfect key for sand cement to bond to, unfortunately for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back