Creating and opening for french windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing a set of 60' wide windows and the 9' solid brickwork below them. This will leave the opening supported by a timber lintel. The timber is supported on one side by the original 1890's brickwork and on the other by a concreted reinforced post (1970's). Does removing the brickwork substantially weaken the load bearing of this wall.Is the wooden support adequate,the wooden support seems to be on the inner part of the 9' wall with the outer being held together by 2' angle iron and expanding metal covered in render.The concrete post also supports another timber lintel over a doorway, and will only be in attached to one remaining wall and the doorway with its small amount of brickwork above. Hope this is clear.

Sponsored Links
I assume its single story! If so there is not much load on the lintel but if you have a floor above, I would think seriously about using the opportunity to replace the timber lintel/angle iron lash up & having a good look at the integrity of that pillar. Removing the brickwork below the window won't increase the load on the existing lintel but will leave the 70’s vertical concrete support pillar unrestrained on either side. Depending on its size & construction, this could reduce the load carrying capacity as being no longer tied into anything, it will be subject to increased bending stress. Also, if it’s been cast in situ, you may have the devil of a job separating it from the surrounding brickwork with damaging it!

I am just in the middle of renovating a 60's single story extension involving removal of an old window & some internal cupboards & fitting 1800 wide French doors. In the end there was so little of the original front wall left I decided it would be easier to knock it all out, including 2 massive cast in situ concrete lintels, & start again. The lintels were a nightmare to remove without causing damage the rest of the structure, I am installing a new lightweight Catnic lintel.

Thanks for your comments.I've had the building inspector look at it and he is happy for the work to go ahead. He will return when the wall below the window is removed to see if the concrete post needs to be dry packed(supported by strong concrete mix). There is a lot of weight ,as it is a 3 storey rear wall above with 4 windows,i believe a lot of weight is spread out to the main remaining walls either side of the grd flr window which is to be removed.The post is preformed and shrouded in reinforced brick mesh and hard render mix.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back