Possible to vent extractor fan through this wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a thin strip of wall in which I hope I can fit a vent for the cooker extractor hood.

The idea is to bring the ducting along the top of the cupboards and out through the wall. Here's a picture of the setup:

The pipes will be moved to the white side of the wall and boarded over with plasterboards, leaving a 250mm workable distance.

I have two concerns:

1. Given the overlap of the lintil above the door, will drilling a 100mm hole be safe?

2. Given that this is a party wall, and my neighbours door + window is right next to me, am I too close?
If so can I run a vertical pipe up the outside of the house to overcome this?

Thank You
d.

Sponsored Links
You haven't really provided enough information for anyone to help much.
You should add an indication of cupboard height, and proposed hole position. You could also take a photo of the outside, and give some idea of what the wall thickness/construction is, and what the lintel is holding up.

Your local building control/planning officer may be able to tell you how close to your neighbour's boundary/window you can come.

Yep, 1 year on and I'm just about to pick this job up again :)
(I've been REALLY busy... Promise!)

I've posted some pics below detailing the setup and would like some advice on whether this is a safe place to drill a 4 or 5" hole for my cooker extractor fan.
i.e. is my back wall likely to fall down :eek:

Note: The top of the cupboards will sit a couple of inches below the marked hole.

There is a concrete lintel over the back door/window which overlaps the wall shown by 100mm.

This is a terraced house and the bathroom is directly above the kitchen. So the lintel is supporting the external wall of that. It's a cavity wall construction.

Brick dimensions are 100 x 220 x 65mm.

I'm being a bit paranoid here because of the width of the wall and the proximity of the lintel. Although I have seen someone else further down my road put a hole through this section, I'd like to check with you guys first before I go any further.

If I am indeed overeacting, and this is a safe place, then would it be ok to drill where I've marked? Or should I stagger the hole over two bricks?

Many Thanks
d.

I would not be worried about putting a hole through where you have shown. It is well down the wall from the lintel bearing area.

I think your biggest concern may be the proximity to you neighbours back door/window. On an old property like yours this is not a planning or building control issue, but more of a nuisance issue the envirionmental health people might act upon if your neighbour complained. i.e. If what goes out of the vent is a bit of a stink and it gets drawn into the neigbours house because it is so close. I think there is a potential risk that you may want to evaluate!

Sponsored Links
That was my next concern :)

I was thinking of extending the vent pipe out a little and putting a 45 degree bend on it to channel the exhast fumes out towards the center of my garden.
Fortunately the prevailing winds come from the correct direction, so in the majority of cases, the exhaust should be carried away from my neighbours window.

The only other solution I can think of is to extend the pipework all the way up to the roof alongside the existing soil vent pipe. But I only plan on doing that should my initial solution not impress the neighbours.

When drilling a 4" hole through this type of set up, is there a preference where?

For example, is it better to have the centre point in the middle of a brick, taking out a whole brick, or in the mortar joint, taking out half a brick each?

Thanks
d.

Hi,

I have a similar query. See this thread is old. Shall I post here and resurrect this thread to keep all info in same place or just post new thread?

Thanks, D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back