Possibly awkward driveway project drains/foundations etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, laying a new block pavor driveway however my house has very shallow foundations and drains. I have put a picture in so you can see the lay of things.

The drain is clayware and directly below usual vehicle track and has a capped spur running quite close to the topsoil.

So first question would be am I best to encase the section of the drain in the concrete haunch of the edge course, or leave a certain amount of pea shingle type bedding around the drain and have a more shallow haunch over that section? (the edge course here will abut up to a footpath/roadway so pavingexpert says ok to go to 50mm here)?

Next question is about the foundations. They're only one or two bricks deep. So I have the option of running an edge course & haunch right against the foot of the wall which would be good for the foundations I assume but bad for damp (it's also a high ground level to internal floor), with no section of pea shingle as a drain off or work like normal and separate the edge course and leave a section for drainage. What do you think should I be concerned about the foundations or not?

Final question is back to the drains, for the main section that will lie under the sub base, it's still quite shallow and might not allow for 150mm sub base plus blinding layer etc as well as separate smaller bedding for the drain. Am I best to encase them in smaller bedding and have a shallower section of sub base over the drain line or have people got no concerns about MOT1 going directly onto drains?

Probably turning this into more of a drama than need be but then I'd rather not have to dig up a turd laden driveway with a subsiding house over it! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do the drains serve just your house - or do they come from others. First case you own them - second case they are the sewerage co.s . If they're yours I personally would replace with plastic because old 2 feet lengths of clay pipe can break @ the joints. Also with plastic you can have a lower gradient if necessary, because it's smooth . as to the paving I wouldn't attempt it myself - I've seen a few diy drives that have sunken spots etc. I've heard there is a good builder in Staffs called Noseall ;) ;)

The drains only serve myself however whilst I take on your points about replacing them the driveway job is a definite DIY one, like everything else because needs must.

I'm pretty confident it just needs proper prep, sub base, haunchings, drainage considerations etc. I've got a good noggin for following recipes!

Thanks for the suggestion, I might move to plastic for that section, depends on whether the road element is already concreted in.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back