Possibly, but hopefully not, a leaky head gasket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The other day my cousin called me to say that she had a problem with her 2002 1.2 active Fiat Punto over heating. So I went and looked and first of all found that the oil was, well there's no other way to put it than empty. So I flushed it (and got a LOT of sludge out and replaced the oil and filter) this was a long shot but it didn't sort the problem but needed doing anyway (which in the end ended up me doing a whole service as the car had never had one in the 5 years she's owned it!). So moving onto the problem I checked to see how bad it was overheating and sure enough after about 15 min it was boiling yet the blowers were coming out cold. Because of this I did the obvious thing and bled the system. This appeared to fix it. I checked it, ran it for an hour no overheating, blowers coming out hot. So I called it a day, job done!

The next day I got a call, "the blowers were coming out hot for a few minutes but now they've gone cold and it is over heating again!" So tomorrow I'm going back to try and sort the problem.

Other than bleeding it again I can only assume its one if two things: an intermittent thermostat or the head gasket is going. Now hopefully it's the thermostat but was wandering what you all think.

When I changed the oil there was no sign of a leaky head gasket nor in the oil breather pipe. Also she has said the head gasket was done about a year ago.

Any help is much appreciated and just so I can check as I'm not used to working on a punto, removing the thermostat if it is that.

Ideally if anyone knows what the problem is a couple of pictures to help explain would be a massive help!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
A leaky head gasket won't of itself make the engine overheat, what does is that the pressure build up in the cooling system blows the coolant out via the filler cap or overflow pipe, so unless you are loosing a lot of coolant that isn't the problem.

The heater going cold is an indication that the coolant is not circulating this is very often caused by and airlock as this can prevent the water reaching the thermostat and opening it, this can be caused by a leaky head gasket but it will be accompanied by loss of coolant.

Peter

As above......if you are discharging coolant then the head gasket has to be high up on the suspect list.
Often running an engine on tickover isn't enough to allow head gasket problems to show - always take the car for a drive.
Oil plays a major part in cooling the engine together with water....if the oil was as low as you say then there could be all sorts of nasties lurking within.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back