Possibly damp outside wall

Thanks all for the advice - will take a brick or two out as suggested to have a decent look at what is going on.

Sponsored Links
Eliseboy,
look at thread by OP stevecc ref opening his cav wall.
He opened from inside but you can also open from outside - whatever suits you.

Hi- I’ve taken a brick out and there was a fair bit of rubble in the cavity - could this explain the damp on the outer wall? We had work done of the roof gable end directly above the area that is damp so could they maybe have put some rubble down the cavity?

the pictures below are before I took the rubble out, afterwards, looking down the cavity and the rubble I could easily get out.
8281EA05-178D-4554-AE1F-46BA3F01F8B7.jpeg 9CB215E7-D30B-475C-8A5D-32AEAC3A5D0F.jpeg 0F7CE93C-65A7-4C38-8275-C257AED3198A.jpeg 74C1244A-A91A-43D4-934F-D9E495A32B71.jpeg

Eliseboy,
Thanks for coming back with the pics.

Sponsored Links
Here is a picture with a few parts annotated. Must admit I’m at a loss as I expected the cavity to be pretty wet/damp and it wasn’t. No water comes out the weep holes and nor can I see any water pooling on the drive even when it’s been raining really heavily. Had a look at other posts mentioned in this thread which didn’t really provide any more ideas. Guess it would do no harm to remove the pebbles but I still don’t see why any water wouldn’t stop at the DPC but then I not a pro.

Time to see if I can get a builder in to have a look methinks.
341ED7C7-353D-4858-8AD5-069B821F8BB5.jpeg

Your DPC is working - look at the lower right. So the semi-circular damp seems to be a surface issue.
Do you have CWI?
Why not lower the pebbles by about say 50mm.

Why get a builder in when you've identified the cause? Just remove all the rubble from the void. Probably better to remove (larger) blocks from inside, than bricks from the outside as there is no insulation.

Blup

Thanks all - should be possible to get the rest of the rubble out if I take another brick or two out and drop the level of the pebbles down. It is a cavity wall.

Only other thing I’d say is that if I feel up from where I took the brick out, I can feel what seems like rough mortar that has set in there so it’s not just loose rubble at the base of the cavity. It’s not any kind of cavity tray as it’s too rough. Hopefully it is nothing that is meant to be there - any thoughts welcome.

Its typical to remove 5 or 6 bricks from the outside to open up an access hole - stay away from doing anything on the inside.
Still dont know if you have CWI?
The "rough mortar" could simply be from the bricklaying droppings - bad practice but well common.
First class work uses a cavity board to catch all debris.

The mortar might be caught on cavity ties so be careful when removing it. If you are still around the forum in 12 months let us know the outcome.

Blup

Thanks - hopefully the wall will stay up if I replace some more bricks and I’ll live to post the results. Surprised not to see lots of cavity wall insulation and hopefully I’ll see it when I clear some of the rubbish out the way.
Good shout on the wall ties - will watch out for that.

There are basic rules for which bricks and where, to take out when introducing cavity wall insulation or wall tie replacement. The same should logically apply to what you are doing. A search on the forum should assist.

Blup

There are no "basic rules" because you dont take bricks out "when introducing CWI".

Failed cavity ties are typically left in place, and their replacement wall ties definitely dont require bricks removing.

Its "logical" to remove the least amount of bricks for cavity access - ie five or six bricks.

Lol for the lol writer of post #13 who has just shot himself in the foot - again.

Lol for the lol writer of post #13 who has just shot himself in the foot - again.
You mean "Woody" who hasn't posted since #15 ? Now we're on post 29. What are you on ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back